1. Joined
    21 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 11:151 edit
    If you're going to adopt the caro-kann, why not pick up the Slav as well? A lot of ideas in each are quite similar; and it'll help with transpositions, might even be able to avoid your opponent's opening preparation. Just my two candies.

Edit: Oh, and it'll save/economize your study time as well.
  2. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 00:46
    Can any of you offer reasons as to why (possibly) the French's popularity has gone way down since the turn of the century [http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=C00] and the Caro-Kann's popularity has gone way up [http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=B19]? Or, am I looking at this too simply? I ask this because, it seems--in general--more people here prefer the French to the Kann. Just curioius. I'm looking for a decent strategical system against 1.e4, so I'm trying them both out.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 01:44
    It's because the French is refuted by 3. H4!

No, seriously, it may be just that the Caro-Kann is a bit safer for Black. it is much more drawish and many GMs do not play for a win as black. Maybe this explains it. But I seriously don't know. Both are solid defenses.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 03:37
    Originally posted by RahimK
    With white, stick to one only. Either 1.e4 or 1.d4. Learning both systems is to hard so stick with one and eventually you will "master" it.
    How long should one "stick to one"?
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 14:06
    Although I have bee nguilty of not taking my own advice...

Avoid chaning your game based on your opponents rating and just play as best you are able.
  6. Big D
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 17:07
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    Can any of you offer reasons as to why (possibly) the French's popularity has gone way down since the turn of the century [http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=C00] and the Caro-Kann's popularity has gone way up [http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=B19]? Or, am I looking at this too simply? I ask this because, it seems--in general- ...[text shortened]... oius. I'm looking for a decent strategical system against 1.e4, so I'm trying them both out.
    After e6 and d5, it is very difficult for Black to develop his Queen's Bishop when he plays the French. Also, the French requires a tremendous amount of book knowledge to play. Neither of these issues comes up when playing the Caro-Kann.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 18:15
    Originally posted by basso
    How long should one "stick to one"?
    Till you feel comfortable play it. Also when you get higher rated, eventually your opponent will know which openings you play and will prepare against you. Then a change is good.

The change part is from this senior masters website.
  8. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 23:01
    Anyone know of a good book(s) on the French, and also the Caro?
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 00:38
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    Anyone know of a good book(s) on the French, and also the Caro?
    The starting out books are great. Not very detailed on one variation though.

I read starting out:the sicilian and loved it. My first opening book I read.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 00:48
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    1.f3 2. Kf2
    That opening rocks
  11. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 01:52
    Originally posted by RahimK
    The starting out books are great. Not very detailed on one variation though.

I read starting out:the sicilian and loved it. My first opening book I read.
    Thanks. I can easily read the reviews at jeremysilman.com or wherever, but I always like to hear what others have to say about their experiences with certain book(s).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree