1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 03:241 edit
    I found the Albin Counter Gambit difficult to handle. I watched one video that said I needed to play Nf3, then g3 and fianchetto quickly and never play Nb2 to Nd3.

I tried following the advice and got smashed always feeling like I had no counterplay.

I found other advice saying play 1d4 d5 2.
    c4 e5 3. dxe5 d4 4. a3 to prevent Bb4, since then I find these games much less distressing.

Anyone have a similar experience where an opening was difficult to deal with until it is easy?
  2. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 14:50
    @Eladar
    Either accept the gambit because the databases indicate that's the way to go, or take the practical way and ignore it and stay in the game that suits you.
    I once saw a good player decline the Benko gambit and I asked him afterwards why he didn't take it on. He replied he never does. He would be playing into someone's home prep. His way means he might not be playing the best move but he also doesn't have to know everything about everything.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 15:291 edit
    @jb70

That is so true. Paul from FICS said basically the same thing when he played openings. He did it against weaker players, play some odd move to get them out of book.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to do just that against the Baltic. I decided to forego the advice I saw and simply play 3.Nc3.
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 19:402 edits
    @Eladar

The scotch gambit would crush me every time I was playing black in 10 minute games.
    I would accept the Gambit and try to hang on.
    Now I am fine with it but it was a problem for awhile.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 19:49
    @Cheesemaster

Was there a specific move that you changed that made the difference?
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 19:571 edit
    I realized if I gave the pawn back and later played my d pawn to d5 the game would turn into an Italian game with equality.

I never did learn a line where I could keep the pawn 🤔 ...too much work and a player who plays the Scotch Gambit does not want it to turn into a boring Italian game...I think it kind of demoralizes him/her I think.

I don't have the energy to type out any move orders or diagrams.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 20:031 edit
    There is an easy way..

Go here...
    https://www.apronus.com/chess/pgnviewer/

Play the moves out on the board, the hit show pgn and copy, then paste into pgn here.

One of my favorite lines.

8. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    01 Nov '20 20:11
    Interesting 🤔
    Thanks!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree