1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 21:14
    he would only raise his eyes from the board when victory was a certainty. Then he would gaze curiously at his rival. The rival would humbly meet Paul's gaze. He immediately realized the futility of further mental combat.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Oct '17 21:25
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    he would only raise his eyes from the board when victory was a certainty. Then he would gaze curiously at his rival. The rival would humbly meet Paul's gaze. He immediately realized the futility of further mental combat.
    If you can't win a staring contest, don't play tournament chess. 😛
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '17 13:44
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    If you can't win a staring contest, don't play tournament chess. 😛
    Suppose a girl or guy from some country not familar with chess comes along, learns chess maybe getting basic training, how pieces move, en passant, pawn advance and so forth but not much about openings or strategy.

Suppose that person has a Morphy like ability to play chess and starts beating good players.

How far up the scale would someone like that rise without real coaching from GM trainers and such?
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Oct '17 13:27
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    This would only have an effect if a really strong player were doing it. If I tried something like this it would carry as much weight with my opponent as a fly 2 light years away. 😕
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Oct '17 23:48
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Suppose a girl or guy from some country not familar with chess comes along, learns chess maybe getting basic training, how pieces move, en passant, pawn advance and so forth but not much about openings or strategy.

Suppose that person has a Morphy like ability to play chess and starts beating good players.

How far up the scale would someone like that rise without real coaching from GM trainers and such?
    It depends on who they play. Playing games against better players is a form of coaching, especially if one reviews their losses in an earnest effort to find out where they went wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree