1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 23:52
    The Queen or two Rooks, which side would you prefer to play?

I am leaning to 2 rooks. Connect the rooks they are never hanging and totally safe from the queen.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 06:41
    Originally posted by @eladar

I am leaning to 2 rooks. Connect the rooks they are never hanging and totally safe from the queen.
    Generally, I agree. If I was disciplined enough to study endgames (like I should) I'd have more to say about it. Sometimes my real self is not happy with my chess self. 🙁
  3. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 10:56
    I love games where I give up my queen for two rooks or three minor pieces. If I see an opportunity to do that I always do it.
  4. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 11:09
    That reminds me of a simultaneous exhibition I was at and GM Joel Benjamin was playing. I ended up with two rooks and two pawns to his queen and three pawns but I resigned because I had to leave. It was almost midnight and me and my girlfriend had to go somewhere. I think he was going easy on me because I made my girl dress sexy to distract him and I think it worked. True story.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 14:57
    Originally posted by @nevare
    That reminds me of a simultaneous exhibition I was at and GM Joel Benjamin was playing. I ended up with two rooks and two pawns to his queen and three pawns but I resigned because I had to leave. It was almost midnight and me and my girlfriend had to go somewhere. I think he was going easy on me because I made my girl dress sexy to distract him and I think it worked. True story.
    A honey trap in chess. Nice one. There's a story I read somewhere online, I'm never going to find the reference, about an Australian male player who wanted a game result set aside, his complaint was that his female opponent wore a low cut blouse which totally destroyed his ability to concentrate on the game...
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 21:09

Depends on the position. If the Rooks can't work together, or there are attacking chances for her, then the Queen usually wins. In an endgame with a well-enough defended King, and the Rooks connected, they can slowly pick pawns and the Queen can't do much to stop it.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '18
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 22:50

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    12 Jul '18
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 22:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 02:58

The rooks. I was indoctrinated by fisher.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 08:31
    Situationally dependent as some indicated above.
    But, I will almost always opt to maintain the flexibility of my mobile Q.
  11. RSA
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 20:13
    The two rooks are usually better, as they protect each other are able to focus their attack on one square. If there are a lot of loose pawns, then there might be cases where the mobility of the queen can be better, but generally not.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 20:56
    One other concern is supporting pieces. No bishop no knight and the queen isn't nearly as dangerous.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Jul '18 17:241 edit
    2 rooks can mate,a queen cannot. 2 rooks can be two places at once, a queen cannot. 2 rooks can double-attack some other piece or pawn, a queen can defend it only once.

Game 12568270

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree