1. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 22:20
    When counting the times a position has repeated (3 x's is a draw) does it matter whose move it is in each position?

mercy buttercups, in advance.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 22:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 23:581 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    When counting the times a position has repeated (3 x's is a draw) does it matter whose move it is in each position?

mercy buttercups, in advance.
    Copied from the FAQ:
    "Third repetition of a position. If any identical position appears three times during a game, then the game can be claimed as a draw. Please note that each repetition must be identical with regards to en passant and castling availability. A draw can only be claimed along with a move that contributes to a repetition. Claiming after the repetition has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move."

The Three time repetition of position draw is not automatically awarded. You have to claim the draw when the third repitition occurs with your move.

Any time you think you have the correct conditions for a draw, just claim the draw before you make your move. If the draw conditions are not met the game will continue.
  4. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 00:09
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Yes. The player making the claim must be able on that turn to bring about a position that has occurred twice before after that same player has moved.

For example, if a game were to (nonsensically) start 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. Bd3 Ng8 4. Bf1, this would not be considered a "repeat" of the position reached after 1...e5, because it was White's move in that earlier position but Black's move after 4. Bf1.
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    29 Mar '21 20:36
    Thank you all, but Levin is the one that attacked the question - Does it matter whose turn it is in each iteration? and apparently it does matter. The FAQ reads as if no such stipulation is made, and that my be how RHP implemented it. Maybe we can ask @Russ how it was coded here.

Again, thanks all.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Mar '21 12:21
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Thank you all, but Levin is the one that attacked the question - Does it matter whose turn it is in each iteration? and apparently it does matter. The FAQ reads as if no such stipulation is made, and that my be how RHP implemented it. Maybe we can ask @Russ how it was coded here.

Again, thanks all.
    Yes, asking Russ should get you a more exact explanation.

I am pretty sure the player who is about to create the third repetition of a board position is the one who needs to claim the draw and then make their move. But I could be wrong.

The 'claim draw' button does not appear until it is your turn to move. In other words, if it is not your move, there is no 'claim draw' button that you can click.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree