1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 07:111 edit
    My first 20 games are nearly complete, most against lower rated opponents. Lot's of wins and only 2 losses. Great for the ego, but the honeymoon is nearly over. Soon I'll be flushed from this comfortable sanctuary, and into the icy, shark infested waters of rated tournaments as a supporting member, against people of my own strength and greater.

* So, what is the dropout rate? One in 10? One in 20? Just wondering.

* Quintet, Octet, or Long Haul? What is the best one to begin with?

* Clans: Are they worth joining? Any advantages to being in a clan?

Any input would be appreciated πŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 11:35
    Originally posted by @mchill
    My first 20 games are nearly complete, most against lower rated opponents. Lot's of wins and only 2 losses. Great for the ego, but the honeymoon is nearly over. Soon I'll be flushed from this comfortable sanctuary, and into the icy, shark infested waters of rated tournaments as a supporting member, against people of my own strength and greater.

* So, what ...[text shortened]... Are they worth joining? Any advantages to being in a clan?

My personal preference is for banded tournaments.
    Play an open tournament and you' may well find yourself playing people possibly 800 rating points higher or lower than you,
    and that's not ideal for improving your chess.
    With banded tournaments you'll be up against players within one or two hundred rating points of your own,
    and the games will probably be close and hard-fought as a result.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 15:20

* So, what ...[text shortened]... Are they worth joining? Any advantages to being in a clan?

First defeat on such sites is like sex in Turkish prison: it hurts only first time.
    It's actually relief (okay the word may have naughty connotation), because you don't have to keep the record any longer.

If you enjoy long tournaments in style of former Capablanca memmorials in seventies (ca. 20 players) enroll in usual tournament 3/7 7/14 with 21 players (=40 games).

You are too quick for Long Haul, I reckon.

Otherwise, Octet banded or/and thematic Octet would be good for start.
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 16:26
    join a clan
    make friends
    many options
    you'll figure it out
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 17:26
    I'd go by time limit. If you want to do the full blown analysis and opening research of the serious cc player go for the long hauls or 7 dayers. If you want to play a more otb style then 3/7 or quicker. In some games opponents may leave it to the last moment to move whatever the position. They may be cogitators with only a game or two on the go, but mostly they are managing a bigger gameload and playing a more rapid/blitz style. Some do this to raise the jeopardy level and thus the adrenaline hit. Others will blitz 90% but are more careful against better opponents. If you are the sort of player who finds it psychologically necessary to clear all moves each time you log on but always wants moves waiting when they do so you will take too many games and move too fast, but you will live with your lower than your best potential rating and be happy and you will be in a pool of similar souls. If you prefer to allow your moves to "mature on the mantlepiece" before you "post" them then analyse an existing position further when there are no moves waiting and don't be tempted into extra games.

But I think you know all this and are just enjoying winding up the forum in the build up phase. Are you related to @bill718 by any chance?
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 21:01

Before you can enter a tournament or join a clan you have to subscribe
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Dec '17 22:081 edit
    Don't try to do too much or too many different things at once.

If you want to play one-on-one, I suggest you try a tourney.

If you are interested in camaraderie, I suggest you read the clan forum for a while to get a flavour of the tone there.

Be advised that clans are not teams. The clan system is very loosely organised with no fixed clan size or playing schedule, so it is hard to compare the strength of one clan (which may be large and play many short-time-limit challenges) with another clan (which is small &/or plays different time limits).

If you want something more structured (same-size teams with a fixed schedule of games), then you should be looking at RHP leagues, not clans.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 14:51
    Originally posted by @venda
    Before you can enter a tournament or join a clan you have to subscribe
    Thank you for the input everyone, and I'll be subscribing very soon. 2 more games left to finish though πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 15:40
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    First defeat on such sites is like sex in Turkish prison: it hurts only first time.
    It's actually relief (okay the word may have naughty connotation), because you don't have to keep the record any longer.

If you enjoy long tournaments in style of former Capablanca memmorials in seventies (ca. 20 players) enroll in usual tournament 3/7 7/14 with 21 ...[text shortened]... r Long Haul, I reckon.

Otherwise, Octet banded or/and thematic Octet would be good for start.
    Do you have first hand knowledge of Turkish prisons?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree