1. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 04:00
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I got it from a gift card, or as a gift...something it's been a while.

The middle and endgame sections are only good for very brief references, and the opening section gives a very brief description of the plans, but can be good to look up an opening's move order.
    Yea, and it spends SO much time going in depth; I think the section on the Sicilian Dragon is 3 paragraphs!

The only part I even look at anymore is the mates
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 04:01
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    Yea, and it spends SO much time going in depth; I think the section on the Sicilian Dragon is 3 paragraphs!

The only part I even look at anymore is the mates
    🙂

It's pretty useless above 1200. And it's definitely overpriced, but I'm not going to base it too hard, first chess book...come on. 😀
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 04:03
    🙂

It's pretty useless above 1200. And it's definitely overpriced, but I'm not going to base it too hard, first chess book...come on. 😀
    well that books a sore thumb...

Reassess and Accelerated Dragons are great though
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 04:07
    well that books a sore thumb...

Reassess and Accelerated Dragons are great though
    Ok, I admit it - it's a bad book. 🙁 But once again, first book I had, and I read the whole thing. 😛
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 11:361 edit
    Ok, I admit it - it's a bad book. 🙁 But once again, first book I had, and I read the whole thing. 😛
    I don't know the book but maybe you are being unfair. A book that is too basic for 1500s might be great for beginners.

The important thing is to get books and training at your level then as you improve up the stakes, buy more advanced books and get a better tutor. When you start you need something that gives a very basic idea on main opening and end game principles but as you improve so the need to delve ever deeper into complex positions arises and more advanced books are needed.

My first book was "Teach Yourself Chess" and boy was that basic but even now if I need to refresh my knowledge on how to force that B&N ending it will give me the simple answer.
  6. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 11:451 edit
    well I'll buy his books anyday, I have 4! Reassess, Amateur's Mind, Complete Book of Chess Strategy (I got this one as a present and the best use I can find for it is as a reference guide between tournament games) and Accelerated Dragons (cowritten by John Donaldson)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree