1. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 13:235 edits
    Usually tournament entry rating could be higher than current rating, that means if I enter in a tournament for people with 1400 to 1500 I can be paired with player of 800 (that in the past had a max of about 1750) and lost with that person and destroy my own rating.

Too risky.

Maybe to avoid that situation is better to play just with open invites and play only with people that have a similar "actual" rating.

Am I right?

The situation is here:
    https://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/enter.php?tid=42223

I didn't enter on that one because of my rating ideas....
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 14:00
    @schlecter said
    Usually tournament entry rating could be higher than current rating, that means if I enter in a tournament for people with 1400 to 1500 I can be paired with player of 800 (that in the past had a max of about 1750) and lost with that person and destroy my own rating.

Too risky.
    If your rating and that of the hypothetical player in your example are fair indicators of present strength, what reason would there be to think that you'd have more than a negligible chance of not winning?
  3. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 14:41
    @FMDavidHLevin

Yes. I had loss with people of 800 and 900 in the past in that kind of tournaments.
  4. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 18:47
    @schlecter said
    @FMDavidHLevin

Yes. I had loss with people of 800 and 900 in the past in that kind of tournaments.
    When I've lost to opponents who are much lower rated, I have found that it was often caused by my overconfidence (especially after I had just drawn or defeated a player who was much higher rated than I) or by my playing unsoundly to try to create winning chances.

Have you looked for the underlying cause(s) of your losses to players rated 800--900?
  5. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 19:062 edits
    @FMDavidHLevin

I think when I have more than 40 open games, the quality of my chess is very bad. Last month I try to be under 20 games to focus just in some games.

As well overconfidence could be a factor, because some of those 800-900, if they play in a tournament for 1450/1500 is because they are not really bad players, they can do damage. (Maybe low rating could be because of timeout.....)
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Apr '22 19:18
    @schlecter said

Too risky.

Maybe to avoid that situation is better to play just with open invites and play only with pe ...[text shortened]... awn.com/tournament/enter.php?tid=42223

I didn't enter on that one because of my rating ideas....
    We all go this from time to time. It could be due to several things from moving too fast, your opponent simply playing unusually well, cheating with an engine, or a game load that's simply too big for your daily schedule. 3 suggestions: 1. Cut down on your game load a bit and spend more time on each move. 2. Make tactics training a part of your daily schedule (books such as the Woodpecker Method are excellent for this) 3. Always look at your moves from the other side of the board before submitting them. 🙂
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Apr '22 10:52
    @mchill said
    We all go this from time to time. It could be due to several things from moving too fast, your opponent simply playing unusually well, cheating with an engine, or a game load that's simply too big for your daily schedule. 3 suggestions: 1. Cut down on your game load a bit and spend more time on each move. 2. Make tactics training a part of your daily schedule (books such as th ...[text shortened]... for this) 3. Always look at your moves from the other side of the board before submitting them. 🙂
    "Current" rating will always be unreliable because of the timeout factor.
    T.e.r uses current rating in the calculation.
    In general,with players with higher ratings the rating is a more accurate guide.
    Players with a low rating are usually better than their rating suggests.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree