1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 09:47
    Originally posted by bot 6
    chess is a stupid game for fools.the only reason i play is to show you geeks that its not about this deep and intelectual thing you call logic, its about tic tac toe whoopty do. i might as well play checkers. same thing.
    Clearly, judging by your current rating, it is neither deep nor intellectual for you.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 09:48
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    14 moves isnt bad 🙂

[Event "Friendly Game, 12m + 0s"]
    [Site "Main Playing Hall"]
    [Date "2005.11.08"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Caffeinated"]
    [Black "Samoht"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "C00"]
    [BlackElo "2589"]
    [PlyCount "27"]
    [EventDate "2005.11.08"]
    [TimeControl "720"]

1. e4 {1} e6 {5} 2. d4 {2} d6 {10} 3. f4 {7} Nf6 {8} 4. Nc3 {3} Nbd7 {20} 5.
    Nf3 {3} ...[text shortened]... {27} 13. Bxd5+ {2} Nxd5 {3} 14. Qxd5# {(Lag: Av=0.33s, max=0.5s) 1} 1-0
    Not bad! Any in 10 or less?
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 09:53
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Not bad! Any in 10 or less?
    I have one where I mate Kamsky in 9 but I can never find the pgn while awake 😛
  4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:05
    I have one where I mate Kamsky in 9 but I can never find the pgn while awake 😛
    Was that when he was 6 years old?
  5. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:11
    Was that when he was 6 years old?
    In my dream its right after he just beat Kasparov, Anand, Topalov, Polgar and Adams in a simlu 😛
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:14
    In my dream its right after he just beat Kasparov, Anand, Topalov, Polgar and Adams in a simlu 😛
    Couldn't he beat Kramnik?
  7. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:23
    Couldn't he beat Kramnik?
    Kramnik is his footstool 😉
  8. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:29
    14 moves isnt bad 🙂

[Event "Friendly Game, 12m + 0s"]
    [Site "Main Playing Hall"]
    [Date "2005.11.08"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Caffeinated"]
    [Black "Samoht"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "C00"]
    [BlackElo "2589"]
    [PlyCount "27"]
    [EventDate "2005.11.08"]
    [TimeControl "720"]

1. e4 {1} e6 {5} 2. d4 {2} d6 {10} 3. f4 {7} Nf6 {8} 4. Nc3 {3} Nbd7 {20} 5.
    Nf3 {3} ...[text shortened]... {27} 13. Bxd5+ {2} Nxd5 {3} 14. Qxd5# {(Lag: Av=0.33s, max=0.5s) 1} 1-0
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid. But what's the meaning of Plycount "27"?
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:30
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid. But what's the meaning of Plycount "27"?
    The number of moves in the game 🙂
  10. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:34
    The number of moves in the game 🙂
    Ah, but in this particular game, only 14 moves?
  11. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:37
    Ah, but in this particular game, only 14 moves?
    ply is one half move......

ie 13 black moves and 14 white moves 🙂
  12. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:40
    ply is one half move......

ie 13 black moves and 14 white moves 🙂
    Oh ok. Thanks. That's something new I've learned today. Amazing, I've played chess for years before this, and yet I didn't know that! Strange thing is that I've read quite a lot of chess books, and I don't seem to have come across that term. Is that a common way to describe the number of moves in chess? I know one move means one for white and another for black, of course. I didn't know about the usage of 'ply' to mean half a move. Interesting....
  13. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:43
    Oh ok. Thanks. That's something new I've learned today. Amazing, I've played chess for years before this, and yet I didn't know that! Strange thing is that I've read quite a lot of chess books, and I don't seem to have come across that term. Is that a common way to describe the number of moves in chess? I know one move means one for white and another for bl ...[text shortened]... of course. I didn't know about the usage of 'ply' to mean half a move. Interesting....
    Its not something iv bumped across in books either, its mainly used for the electronic part of chess, databases will tell you the ply count of the game and engines will tell you in ply how deep they are caculating.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 10:45
    Oh ok. Thanks. That's something new I've learned today. Amazing, I've played chess for years before this, and yet I didn't know that! Strange thing is that I've read quite a lot of chess books, and I don't seem to have come across that term. Is that a common way to describe the number of moves in chess? I know one move means one for white and another for bl ...[text shortened]... of course. I didn't know about the usage of 'ply' to mean half a move. Interesting....
    I just heard it for the first time, too. I have only been playing for two years, haven't read many chess books, and haven't played at a club or anything, but I think I have come over most chess terms on the internet. I think I have heard them referred to as "half-moves".
  15. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 11:00
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I just heard it for the first time, too. I have only been playing for two years, haven't read many chess books, and haven't played at a club or anything, but I think I have come over most chess terms on the internet. I think I have heard them referred to as "half-moves".
    Well, actually, you'd be surprised how much you can improve if you read books. You'll find lots of stuff. Past games and what are the ideas behind each opening. When I was at the height of my chess madness, I used to read a hell lot. I used to play in tournaments. Unfortunately, I never did win anything, but I got as far as number 7 in a local club. Then when I was transferred back to my home country, I had to give up competitive chess because of work commitments.

If you don't read, you'd often find yourself trapped; or you'd waste a lot of time thinking in the opening. In some openings, up to the first 10 moves might be made out of memorization, really. But of course, some games get out of book opening much sooner than that.

Now I'm trying to spare some time to do a bit of reading again. And I've just realised just hom much I've forgotten. For example, right now I'm reading about the Accelerated Dragons (John Donaldson & Jeremy Silman: CADOGAN). Anybody who has this book bill tell you that it is soooo deep, the first few chapters can drain all your mental stamina! But anyway, the dragons is a very complicated opening with lots of traps etc in it.

Try reading a bit, and you'll see that your strength will increase in no time!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree