1. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    29 May '18 19:15
    why does everything have to be ordered online? sometimes a person likes to see and hold something before he/she buys it. i can't find any stores with the old excaliber electronic chess sets. toys'r'us used to sell them but not anymore. any ideas? i don't have the ability to order from the internet.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 May '18 19:39
    Originally posted by @nevare
    why does everything have to be ordered online? sometimes a person likes to see and hold something before he/she buys it. i can't find any stores with the old excaliber electronic chess sets. toys'r'us used to sell them but not anymore. any ideas? i don't have the ability to order from the internet.
    Het Paard, Haarlemmerdijk, Amsterdam.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 May '18 20:13
    Stores are headed down because people go and feel and decide what they want in stores. These same people the go on line to find what they want for less money.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 May '18 20:46
    There's free electronic opponents online. If you have access to a web browser, you don't need to buy anything.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 May '18 22:02
    The amazon.com retail model reigns supreme, brick mortar stores with their high priced leased space just cannot compete. Look on the bright side, you can always return it, if you don't like it. 🙂

Times, they're a changin!
  6. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    30 May '18 00:23
    I just want a computer chess set to play against in real time. These slower games are fun but I like to play games with tournament time controls too 🙂
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 01:05
    I just want a computer chess set to play against in real time. These slower games are fun but I like to play games with tournament time controls too 🙂
    Try fics or chess24
  8. Joined
    30 Apr '18
    Moves
    30 May '18 14:51
    Try Amazon it big Online Platform
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 May '18 16:071 edit
    Hey nevare or anyone else who does not like correspondence chess.
    Have you tried the blitz link in the upper right side of the page?
    It is unrated games only for now, but it is in 'real' time.
    You can set up a game up to 60 minutes to play.
    Then all you need is to find a like-minded opponent who likes your time settings, and you can play away!
    I look in on that page from time to time and it is usually deserted, but you should be able to arrange to meet someone there at a specific time.

Just an idea.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 17:09
    Originally posted by @mwmiller
    Hey nevare or anyone else who does not like correspondence chess.
    Have you tried the blitz link in the upper right side of the page?
    It is unrated games only for now, but it is in 'real' time.
    You can set up a game up to 60 minutes to play.
    Then all you need is to find a like-minded opponent who likes your time settings, and you can play away!
    I look ...[text shortened]... ed, but you should be able to arrange to meet someone there at a specific time.

Just an idea.
    I've tried but the number of players there is limited.
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 May '18 18:17
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I've tried but the number of players there is limited.
    Yes, I have also noted that.
    But if two people want to play a 'live' unrated game, they can set a time to show up and then set it up and play.

I suspect if it doesn't get used, it will eventually go away, and that if it were to become popular it would get more attention from Russ and may even have rated games at some point in time.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 18:01
    Originally posted by @mwmiller
    Yes, I have also noted that.
    But if two people want to play a 'live' unrated game, they can set a time to show up and then set it up and play.

I suspect if it doesn't get used, it will eventually go away, and that if it were to become popular it would get more attention from Russ and may even have rated games at some point in time.
    I doubt it.

The blitz site has never been coded in a way that would compete with the others. There simply isn't time for one developer to do that whilst coding the regular RHP site on 3 different platforms. Realistically, it ought to be scrapped.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree