1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 22:38
    What would you reply with?

I don't like saying no and then easily beating my opponent but if i say yes i know while i might seem good to some others i know myself how bad i really am so can't justify a yes answer to myself.

OK? I guess that works.
  2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 22:41
    "No no nononononono.
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I do like it though. But no no no no no no no. I'm nooooo good. I just love it."

Q
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 23:12
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    "No no nononononono.
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I do like it though. But no no no no no no no. I'm nooooo good. I just love it."

Q
    I know you're rubbish, i know i'm rubbish... try telling someone you beat while playing cards at the same time you're no good.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 23:33
    I reply with yes. If a GM asks me... I still say yes. 😛
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 00:01
    Originally posted by Trev33

I don't like saying no and then easily beating my opponent but if i say yes i know while i might seem good to some others i know myself how bad i really am so can't justify a yes answer to myself.

OK? I guess that works.
    I do alright.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 00:59

OK? I guess that works.
    like everything there are different levels of understanding which are all relative, good
    at chess, yes compared to a beginner, compared to an intermediate players or a
    master, nope, i suck.
  7. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 01:10
    YEAH! Wanna play for money?! That usually helps define the opposition. If someone says yes I immediately say - play that guy, points in direction of seirawan.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 03:21
    no.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 04:01
    I Say: I am a patzer of course. 😛
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 11:16
    Often I just tell them my USCF rating. They still might not understand what that means, but that's their problem; I've answered their question.

Wadda you think, is that too simple, too direct? 😉
  11. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 12:291 edit
    You're unlikely to give the correct answer. Just quote your username and rating on here. They can then look you up and see into which percentile you fit. Of course you might want to give somebody elses username depending on what you would like to happen next.
  12. Joined
    20 Jul '11
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 13:27
    The trouble is, I'd say in the western World most people 'know how to play Chess' - i.e. at some point they've been shown how each piece moves and participated in at least one game as a kid.

Therefore, to the vast majority of people, Chess is a past time undertaken only very infrequently; like playing a game for the sake of passing time during a journey, or playing their kids, or having a quick game when dusting off and reorganising the rest of the boardgames from the attic.

Most of such people really aren't great at Chess. Sometimes you'll find somebody who hasn't really played before but has natural Chess logic, but they never practise, not half as much as anyone here does, and therefore, you're better than them.

So if anybody vaguely Chess related (i.e. somebody I know plays OTB, or even on RHP) asks me if I'm any good at chess, the answer is 'no.'

But to the vast majority of people, who know Chess, but don't play it, I'd say yes.
  13. on your backrank!
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 13:29
    i'm one of the best patzers the world has yet seen
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 13:361 edit
    The are-you-good-at-chess question.

OK? I guess that works.
    I usually answer "Well, I know the rules."
    And it is in fact true, because I am a licenced chess arbitrer.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 16:19

OK? I guess that works.
    I usually claim to be better at chess than most people, but worse than most of those who take it at all seriously.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree