1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Aug '17 19:26
    About a year ago, I was reading through an old chess magazine and found a half forgotten idea that has helped me a lot. I set up my board and turn on my Chessmaster program to a high competitive level. As we move past the book openings and into the middlegame the machine begins to gain the upper hand, I then use the take back move feature, going back 3-4 moves, then try another line of play, then another, etc. until I find a move strong enough to keep the machine and I roughly level, and writing down these lines as I go. This "learn as you play" method has sharpened my tactical skill and forced me to consider things I've not seen before. Some would argue that the machine doesn't play like a human, so this exercise is flawed, however I cannot argue with the results, after doing this 9 months for a few hours a week, I'm now solidly in 1600 - 1700 territory, after 3 years in the low 1400's! Used correctly, the machine can be your friend. πŸ™‚
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '17 20:24
    Originally posted by @mchill
    About a year ago, I was reading through an old chess magazine and found a half forgotten idea that has helped me a lot. I set up my board and turn on my Chessmaster program to a high competitive level. As we move past the book openings and into the middlegame the machine begins to gain the upper hand, I then use the take back move feature, going back 3-4 mov ...[text shortened]... 0 territory, after 3 years in the low 1400's! Used correctly, the machine can be your friend. πŸ™‚
    That's how you get better, you play better players. If you can't convince a better human, you can always use a better program.
  3. Standard memberweststigersbob
    High Class Blunderer
    On a train somewhere
    Moves
    27 Aug '17 05:361 edit
    I've done exactly the same thing, and seen similar results to my rating.

That being said, I also don't make as many blunders as I used to.

So many blunders...........😞
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Aug '17 06:55
    Originally posted by @weststigersbob
    I've done exactly the same thing, and seen similar results to my rating.

That being said, I also don't make as many blunders as I used to.

So many blunders...........😞
    Growth can be a painful process. If you are not making blunders, then you are not making an effort. Keep up the good work! πŸ™‚
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Aug '17 17:51
    One thing playing against a machine will teach you is to not give away material. Machines are very efficient at exploiting lines which lead to immediate material gain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree