1. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 15:58
    Originally posted by jgvaccaro
    He has 205 games in progress. Time him out.
    yeah no wonder he's busy
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:01
    If he's rated that lowely and is drawing on material against you that late he's probably not as bad as his rating suggests, probably meaning he's been timed out a lot and isn't doing a lot about it so... time him out
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:27
    What are we talking about? You win lousy 8 rating points (or something) and he dosn't seem to care...

I say - skull him!

And then (as a non-subscriber) you can start another game. 6 games is not many as it is.
  4. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What are we talking about? You win lousy 8 rating points (or something) and he dosn't seem to care...

I say - skull him!

And then (as a non-subscriber) you can start another game. 6 games is not many as it is.
    It is always worth being curtious, especially if the game is a good contest, and a friendly reminder can be sent. In this case it appears this person's rating has dropped, a considerable amount in recent times. Perhaps for a reason he is "sandbagging" his rating? I am not knowledgable enough, on the chess subject, to know why "he" would want to do this.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:56
    Originally posted by alurap
    It is always worth being curtious, especially if the game is a good contest, and a friendly reminder can be sent. In this case it appears this person's rating has dropped, a considerable amount in recent times. Perhaps for a reason he is "sandbagging" his rating? I am not knowledgable enough, on the chess subject, to know why "he" would want to do this.
    He is being timed out by vast numbers of people who can't be bothered to wait any longer.
  6. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:58
    I've not claimed a skull yet but there's one I wanted to! He timed out against so many others that his rating is 400 less than when we started the game. He returned in time to prevent me being offered the skull so now I'm playing a strong player with no points in it for me to win. 😞
  7. Joined
    03 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 21:10
    I've decided to time him out. My message to him goes as follows:
    I've debated with myself long and hard on this one, even consulting the forum, and have decided to time you out. OK, you are busy, but why have over 200 games in progress? If you can't commit to games, you shouldn't take them on. I enjoyed playing you, until I could only move once a week, and it seems pretty even, in fact, I'd say I'm slightly on top. When you have more time, I'd like to play you again. Let me know and I'll challenge you.

Thanks for your help. I hope I've done the right thing.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:12
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Only those that feel they can't win and don't really want to play should take the skull.

On the contrary, you take the skull because you do want to play, not wait an indeterminate length of time for a move to trickle back.

If you are enjoying the game and hope to win in the normal course of events why take the skull?

Because the 'normal course of events' involves players that care enough about finishing the game to make their moves in time.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:141 edit
    Originally posted by Mixo
    I've not claimed a skull yet but there's one I wanted to! He timed out against so many others that his rating is 400 less than when we started the game. He returned in time to prevent me being offered the skull so now I'm playing a strong player with no points in it for me to win. 😞
    They did not teach you in the Tao Temple that mercy is for the weak?
  10. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:30
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    They did not teach you in the Tao Temple that mercy is for the weak?
    Correct. An incapacity for mercy is a symptom of fear, not strength.
  11. Joined
    03 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:37
    I just can't believe the guys playing over 200 games, but he hasn't got enough time to play chess! As we'd say in England, what a muppet!
  12. Joined
    03 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:43
    By the way, I deduce from this post that it is only fair to time out when:
    1) People use vacation when they are not on vacation
    2) When people can't play games even though they have 200 games in progress
    3) When you are are winning or drawing on pieces
    4) You can afford to keep the game e.g. you subscribe
    5) You are enjoying the game and don't mind 1 move a week.

Have I missed any?
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:57
    Originally posted by dazrazmataz
    By the way, I deduce from this post that it is only fair to time out when:
    1) People use vacation when they are not on vacation
    2) When people can't play games even though they have 200 games in progress
    3) When you are are winning or drawing on pieces
    4) You can afford to keep the game e.g. you subscribe
    5) You are enjoying the game and don't mind 1 move a week.

Have I missed any?
    I think you are too courteous. The list should be:

1) Time out when the skull shows up. 😉

Actually, I am not that bad, but you don't need to make conditions about it.
  14. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 23:03
    Once that skull shows, it's your decision and right to make the choice. Of course the same applies if I time out. I don't have a right to complain either. What's the problem? Is someone afraid the person timed-out is going to jump off a ledge. It's a chessgame. You take it on the chin and go on with your life, a new game if you're not too depressed.
  15. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 23:04
    Originally posted by dazrazmataz
    I've decided to time him out. My message to him goes as follows:
    I've debated with myself long and hard on this one, even consulting the forum, and have decided to time you out. OK, you are busy, but why have over 200 games in progress? If you can't commit to games, you shouldn't take them on. I enjoyed playing you, until I could only move once a week, ...[text shortened]... know and I'll challenge you.

Thanks for your help. I hope I've done the right thing.
    If more players and people in general were as courteous and contientous as you, this world would be a pretty awesome place.

Nice job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree