1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 May '19 16:261 edit
    Recently I have started making a move offering a fork to get a person to make a bad move. Should I stop wasting moves to see if I can get a person to bite? Here is an example of what I mean

2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 May '19 17:13
    @eladar said
    Recently I have started making a move offering a fork to get a person to make a bad move. Should I stop wasting moves to see if I can get a person to bite? Here is an example of what I mean

[pgn]1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e3 nf6 4.Bxc4 nc6 5.nf3 Bf5 6.Qa4 a6 7.ne5 b5 8.Bf7[/pgn]
    Interesting idea, and this will sometimes work against weak players. Stronger players however will see through this little ploy and simply find stronger moves. My advise: try it against the fish, but the sharks will see through it and find ways to win.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 May '19 17:41
    @mchill

Yeah I figured the future for this kind of stuff is limited. Maybe someone has a better version of what I am trying and will share some secrets.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 May '19 20:151 edit
    @eladar said
    @mchill

Yeah I figured the future for this kind of stuff is limited. Maybe someone has a better version of what I am trying and will share some secrets.
    Maybe someone has a better version of what I am trying and will share some secrets.

Years ago I asked the same question of WGM Elena Donaldson-Akhmilovskaya (one of my very few chess lessons) The advice she gave be can be summed up in item 7. I just wrote in the thread- Internet and chess software investigation. It might give you some ideas. 🙂
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    22 May '19 19:36
    @Eladar

Elementary game theory, stemming from John Nash, states that your opponent will make the best move he can; never assume he will fall into a trap.

The best traps are those your opponent cannot refuse, because declining is worse. Study the games of Em. Lasker for examples.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree