Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 05:591 edit
    After the mistake Kxd5 we have the position:

Now if

or

and if

It's about tactics not "endgames" - and in my case not blindly following a line dreamed up the week before without checking it for zwischenzugs 😀
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 15:491 edit
    I think I am getting better. I had a why not going through my head initially and then worked it out on my own lol.

In my head which I could not do 8 or so years ago.
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 19:32
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I think I am getting better. I had a why not going through my head initially and then worked it out on my own lol.

In my head which I could not do 8 or so years ago.
    I suppose the key position when this had to be seen was when I was contemplating this position a few moves before. Black to move

I thought returning the exchange and liquidating his annoying central pawn for doubled isolated h pawns with a dead draw was a good way out of an uncomfortable position. So 31. ... Rxe4 32. fxe4 Rxe4+ 33. Kd3 Kxd5?? is the position in the OP. Now 34. Rxh5+ Re5 35. Rxh7 is a draw. I could see all that because it was "the plan" but missed 34. c4+ (as did my opponent) through not quality assuring "the plan". Schoolboy stuff really.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree