1. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 22:02
    Hello, I've just come back to the site after a number of years away and not playing at all.

I took up a few games, and was a little surprised this morning to discover I'd won one where I'd been struggling a bit. I had finally got my remaining pieces into a better position, but my own feeling had been that I was still teetering and there was a high risk I wouldn't get a chance to make the definitive moves.

So, not least because I'm so out of practice, I'd be genuinely interested in people's thoughts about how the game was poised when it ended.

Game 12966262
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 00:37
    @orfeo said
    Hello, I've just come back to the site after a number of years away and not playing at all.

I took up a few games, and was a little surprised this morning to discover I'd won one where I'd been struggling a bit. I had finally got my remaining pieces into a better position, but my own feeling had been that I was still teetering and there was a high risk I wouldn't get a chanc ...[text shortened]... interested in people's thoughts about how the game was poised when it ended.

Game 12966262
    No one is abrogated to finish a game in a winning or losing positions. That being said you were probably in a winning position.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 01:581 edit
    @orfeo said

I took up a few games, and was a little surprised this morning to discover I'd won one where I'd been struggling a bit. I had finally got my remaining pieces into a better position, but my own feeling had been that I was still teetering and there was a high risk I wouldn't get a chanc ...[text shortened]... interested in people's thoughts about how the game was poised when it ended.

Game 12966262
    Black is a piece up and would have had at least drawing chances, the a6 pawn cannot be allowed to take on g7 so I assume it is black to move in that position so just g7-g6 saves the game and black's pieces get activated: ..............g7-g6,
    fxg, fxg and there is no more attack by white. There are even mate threats by black in that position if white does not watch out. The black back rook can give check at the appropriate time and so can the black bishop if white doesn't see the checks coming and it could soon be black mates white.
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 07:57
    @sonhouse said
    Black is a piece up and would have had at least drawing chances, the a6 pawn cannot be allowed to take on g7 so I assume it is black to move in that position so just g7-g6 saves the game and black's pieces get activated: ..............g7-g6,
    fxg, fxg and there is no more attack by w ...[text shortened]... can the black bishop if white doesn't see the checks coming and it could soon be black mates white.
    Thanks for this. Yes, I had felt that g7-g6 would make my life as White difficult. I would have had to rely on unnecessary aggression by Black in order to break through.

I also looked at whether my Bishop at a1, and the pawns on that diagonal, could do anything, but again that required my opponent to break the holding pattern.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 15:14
    @orfeo
    he had material supremacy but he may have run out of attacking ideas I would at least asked for a draw.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 19:08
    @orfeo said
    Thanks for this. Yes, I had felt that g7-g6 would make my life as White difficult. I would have had to rely on unnecessary aggression by Black in order to break through.

I also looked at whether my Bishop at a1, and the pawns on that diagonal, could do anything, but again that required my opponent to break the holding pattern.
    As noted above g7-g6 prevents white's checkmating threats, however it appears your opponent took one look at the position and his spirit was broken.
  7. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 21:31
    I think your opponent was still winning. He was up a piece and your bishop on a1 doesn't look too happy. Rb8+ at the very least is going to lead to trouble for white.
  8. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 21:57
    @deepthought said
    As noted above g7-g6 prevents white's checkmating threats, however it appears your opponent took one look at the position and his spirit was broken.
    I see what you did there.
  9. California
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 07:57
    @orfeo

I think Pg6 would make it a battle.
    PxP PxP
    Ph7? and White will be in a bind to protect the pawn and try to attack. White needs to make his bishop more active. His king is actually more exposed than the Black king! It is safely hiding behind the white pawn.
  10. e4
    Moves
    28 Dec '18 13:091 edit
    Black to play resigned.

A good rule of thumb is never resign if you have a check in the position.

1...Rb8+ and White can walk into a mate in one with 2. Kc4 d5 mate.

2. Kc2 Re2+ 3.Kd1 Rb1 is another mate waiting to happen.

Neither are forced but we are witnessing a player resigning
    here in a won position so anything can happen in chess.

White's attack look grim but Black can take a check or two to see
    if White goes to the wrong square. and stop the attack dead with g6.

Or just play 1....g6 right away.

1...g6 2.fxg6 fxg6 White has nothing and as we have seen his King
    in more in danger of getting mated than Black's King.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 01:37
    @orfeo

I suspect that your opponent did not see the idea of the black g-pawn moving at all. I'm inclined to like g7-g5 more than g7-g6, but that may simply be a matter of taste.

Sometimes we get caught up in the "narrative" of the game, and it blinds us to the reality of the board and the possibilities that may exist.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jan '19 20:221 edit
    He might have just missed something while analyzing. It looks scary I guess, but I mean black is completely winning. White isn't really doing anything after black pushes g6. Black has a ton of open files he can play with and the white king is totally exposed. Black's king pretty safe in front of white's h pawn.

So imo, no, he's not right to resign. He had a great position and abruptly put it in the garbage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree