1. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    27 May '11 07:16
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    12.Nd2 doesn't seem so bad for example

12.Nd2 Ng4 13.Bf3 with the plan of trading the bishop off and then planting the knight on c4 but I'm equally perplexed by 13.Nb1/
    12. Nd2? Ng4 13.Bf3? Ne3 ...

In any case, the N belongs on f3, and the last thing White wants to do is trade his light-squared B.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 May '11 07:272 edits
    Originally posted by pdunne
    12. Nd2? Ng4 13.Bf3? Ne3 ...

In any case, the N belongs on f3, and the last thing White wants to do is trade his light-squared B.
    hmm... I guess Nc4 would have had to be played first so indeed it doesn't work but trading the bishop is not bad as long as its for blacks light bishop. The bishop is a terrible thing in that position its screaming, "Just shoot me!"

but maybe there is a way to make whites pieces better with Nd1 and c4. It doesn't look so good at first but it either closes the game up or eases up the position. Nd1 makes an exchange on f4 open up the long light squared diagonal and even though c4 weakens the d pawn if black takes en passant white takes back with the pawn and can possibly advance later... Maybe its not so good but its probably unexpected and It would sure be a learning experience.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 May '11 20:42
    Originally posted by pdunne
    Damn! There goes the element of surprise! Although you don't strike me as a French player anyway ;-)
    I have a bunch of games as white with the KIA vs the French, and this one dovetails nicely!
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 May '11 20:45
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    12.Nd2 doesn't seem so bad for example

12.Nd2 Ng4 13.Bf3 with the plan of trading the bishop off and then planting the knight on c4 but I'm equally perplexed by 13.Nb1/
    I was going to append this to GP's post, but yours is a better fit.

I think Nbd2 is fine, but in the game position with black not yet castled, the "normal" idea is to play a4 and then Nc4 with pressure on e5 while opening the diagonal for white's queen bishop. KID players would recognize the formation immediately, and it makes black's castling delay somewhat problematic.

It's a game to play, with fans for both sides!
  5. e4
    Moves
    28 May '11 00:07

That's is where I thought the Knight was heading, c4 after a4 to stop it
    getting kicked with...b5. A standard KID plan.
    Moving the King's Knight to the home of the Queen's Knight (b1)
    and undeveloping is asking for trouble, and he got it.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jun '11 14:33
    Here's another KIA, which starts with the 1. g3 move order and turns into a KID Saemisch reversed.

It was played in the US Amateur Team East tournament, and my opponent was rated 2070.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree