1. NSW
    Moves
    10 Sep '17 05:33
    This has changed for me a number of times over the years.
    Recently, I've tried to fight on for as long as possible, and I only resign when the opponent's winning plan is obvious, and I can't do anything about it.
    I'm interested to know what others' opinions are in terms of whether it is better to resign as soon as they start losing the game, or fight to the death?
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    10 Sep '17 10:16
    For me more than a piece.. as long as I can't see any counterplay.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Sep '17 16:30
    Counter play is the key.
    The only important thing in chess is mating your opponents king.
    There's lots of examples of players being lot's of material down and still winning the game.
    As in the above post, I only resign when defeat is unavoidable or I can't see any useful way to progress which could lead to a mate
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    11 Sep '17 00:50
    My question is: 'Could I win this game playing my opponent's position?' If the answer is 'yes'. then I shift into my 'go for the draw mode'.
    That mainly consists of throwing away anything if I can end up with a perpetual check (3 fold), usually with my Queen. It has worked enough since people don't expect a non-attack sacrifice.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Sep '17 08:491 edit
    Originally posted by @sigmund-freud
    This has changed for me a number of times over the years.
    Recently, I've tried to fight on for as long as possible, and I only resign when the opponent's winning plan is obvious, and I can't do anything about it.
    I'm interested to know what others' opinions are in terms of whether it is better to resign as soon as they start losing the game, or fight to the death?
    I will usually play on in a lost game if I think I can at least make things complicated. Plus, I pull off swindles sometimes. [I also occasionally give some away.]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree