Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 05 Sep '12 17:58 / 2 edits
    From another website
    [White "Dewi_Jones"] [Black "ivanchess2"][WhiteElo "1298"] [BlackElo "1442"]

My only defence is that it was a quick game and only for fun, but it was the final game of a tournament, and I went into it on 3.5/4. Not the best warm up to my first club championship game which is on Monday against a 110 ECF rated player (by my calcualtions 1530 ELO).

Skip to the last couple of moves if you'd like to laugh at me .

I'll look at it by Sunday night and try and give my best shot at an analysis, as it's a while since I've been flamed on here, maybe the analysis will do me more good as I prepare for the club champs!

Ah well!

2. 05 Sep '12 18:27
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    From another website

My only defence is that it was a quick game and only for fun, but it was the final game of a tournament, and I went into it on 3.5/4. Not the best warm up to my first club championship game which is on Monday against a 110 ECF rated player (by my calcualt ...[text shortened]... rather obviously NOW 43. Ke1 is the move} Rd1# {ooops} 0-1[/pgn]
    That was a gift to him. But like you said a quick game.
  3. 05 Sep '12 18:27
    Surely a lack of manners on my opponents part not to resign ;-)
  4. 05 Sep '12 18:58
    Surely a lack of manners on my opponents part not to resign ;-)
    I'm aware that's a joke. But, as you wrote, it was a quick OTB game, and I
    assume that time pressure likely was a significant factor after 40+ moves.
    If you had played 42 Rb1 (thwarting your opponent's dream of a swindle), I think
    Black would have been justified in resigning if you were not in extreme Zeitnot.
  5. 05 Sep '12 19:07
    it was a good game until that soap drop
  6. 05 Sep '12 19:09
    From another website

My only defence is that it was a quick game and only for fun, but it was the final game of a tournament, and I went into it on 3.5/4. Not the best warm up to my first club championship game which is on Monday against a 110 ECF rated player (by my calcualt ...[text shortened]... rather obviously NOW 43. Ke1 is the move} Rd1# {ooops} 0-1[/pgn]
    Please dont think bad of me Dewi, but some games are simply meant to bring a smile
    to ones face, ouch!
  7. 05 Sep '12 19:12
    I know, even I laugh when I click play on the pgn and watch me advance my pawns like a smug git, then wham!
  8. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    05 Sep '12 21:21
    The lesson to be learned, one that every experienced player has absorbed from their earliest days in the game, is to be alert at all times to the security of your K. Two obvious threats are: back row mates & battery mates (eg Q+B aimed at h7). Of course, mate ends the game.

In this case, the black pawn on f3 offers colossal potential for disaster, as we see. Yet simple remedies were available many moves before the end. Time scramble or not, the danger position did not suddenly creep up on you.

My advice - to focus your mind on priorities - is this: treat every terminal threat to your K as if it were an axe aimed at your dick. You'll move out of the way fast enough then
  9. 05 Sep '12 21:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2 to Dewi Jones
    My advice - to focus your mind on priorities - is this: treat every terminal threat to your K as if it were an axe aimed at your dick. You'll move out of the way fast enough then
    Ahem, not every player needs to worry about the safety of one's 'dick'.
  10. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    05 Sep '12 21:31
    Well, I grant women can work on their own metaphor. But a metaphor is needed to capture the peril and the urgency of response.
  11. 05 Sep '12 21:40
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Well, I grant women can work on their own metaphor. But a metaphor is needed to capture the peril and the urgency of response.
    He's right Dutchess, that'll definitely do it
  12. 05 Sep '12 21:42
    He's right Dutchess, that'll definitely do it
    Why does everyone add a t to her UID?
  13. 05 Sep '12 21:46
    Just poor spelling I'm afraid. Apologies Duchess
  14. 05 Sep '12 21:57
    Originally posted by atticus2
    As soon as Black played 37...f3, I suspected that he or she was trying to set up
    a forthcoming first rank mating position. Unfortunately for him, Dewi Jones
    had 'target fixation' on promoting a pawn and ignored the latent danger.

As for a women's analogy, well, if a man says some sweet things to a woman on
    a date, he could be trying to set her up for a certain position that he has in mind.
    Her 'peril and urgency of response' could depend on several considerations.

When lovely woman stoops to folly,
    And finds too late that men betray,
    What charm can soothe her melancholy?
    What art can wash her guilt away?
    --Oliver Goldsmith
  15. 05 Sep '12 22:03
    Just poor spelling I'm afraid. Apologies Duchess
    No worries, Robbie Carrobie routinely refers to me as 'Dutchess', though
    Ik ben niet een Nederlandse vrouw.