Originally posted by wormwood
    the game sexplorer:
    I wondered if I was the only one to notice that. 🙂
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 13:45
    Originally posted by grit
    Good grief. Am I really dropping pieces by the bucketful? Pretty bad.

Thanks guys for your well thought out comments.

And green pawn, what is this Bates Motel I should apply to? Is Anthony Perkins waiting up there for me with his wig on?

Obviously at this point I don't have my chess act together.

Grit
    Don't worry, through repetition you'll learn to hold on to your pieces. Burn your fingers enough times and you'll realize that it hurts. If you learn to hold on to your pieces, you'll see your rating rise.

When you rating rises, it means that it will take a a higher rated player to beat you. There are plenty of them at this site, so no worries.

Eventually you'll learn to have a reason to move a piece other than just to move the piece.
  4. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 14:06
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    It looks like Greenpawn is away at the moment.

The rhp database is a database of games played here, broken up into three rating classes.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/

There's also a second url, but it looks to be identical to the other one:

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/gamesexplorer/
    Nice feature.
    Thanks!

Why is there no link to it?Just re-read the FAQ,nothing.
    Or am I overlooking it?

toet.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 14:11
    Originally posted by toeternitoe
    Nice feature.
    Thanks!

Why is there no link to it?Just re-read the FAQ,nothing.
    Or am I overlooking it?

toet.
    I don't think there's a link to it on RHP. No idea why not. Maybe Russ is afraid it would be used too much if everyone knew about it? 🙂

I do seem to remember that at times it gets way out of date, then people start complaining. Maybe that's part of it?
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 14:17
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I wondered if I was the only one to notice that. 🙂
    probably everyone notices it, but I'm just the only one childish enough to actually write it out. and I'm still giggling.
  7. Joined
    07 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    In my mind, dropping pieces by the bucketload is a sympton of a lack of planning.
    When someone's at the level where they struggle to see that their opponent is threatening to take their undefended knight, strategy clearly isn't the problem. The problem is board vision.

I just looked at a random game played here by Grit, and at the end of the game Grit gave his opponent mate in one in an equal-looking middlegame.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 17:41
    What game was that? Sounds like an idiot playing chess...

Grit
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:02

Grit
    Well, Greenpawn must be gallivanting across the Scottish countryside at the moment... 🙂

Grit, looks like Greenpawn is the one to get you on the right track. Looks like you'll have to check into the Bates Motel. Just don't hang around Norman more than you have to.

The Bates Motel is an RHP club that Greenpawn set up. I'm not sure of the details, but I guess it has something to do with helping some people with parts of their chess game.

Go to this RHP link:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/club/home.php?clubid=196

On the left-hand side, there's a Club Membership box with a link that says "Click here to apply".
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:06
    Sorry if I came across a little blunt.

The game was this one: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7449661

To be fair, the position wasn't quite equal. White was probably a little better. But it was vital to notice that after 20.axb4, White was threatening 21.Ra8#. The best move was probably 20...Kb8.
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:28
    Originally posted by TacticalJoke
    Sorry if I came across a little blunt.

The game was this one: http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=7449661

To be fair, the position wasn't quite equal. White was probably a little better. But it was vital to notice that after 20.axb4, White was threatening 21.Ra8#. The best move was probably 20...Kb8.
    Yeah, this is a good example of playing "hope" chess, which we've discussed in other threads - Making a move without looking to see what moves your opponent can make in response. Greenpawn is heavily stressing the need to "Check all checks", but what he really means is "Check all checks, captures, and threats" before every move. (What you have to do to get away from hope chess. )

I'm sure by now Grit knows he's doing this - he's been told enough times. Now it's just a matter of putting his nose to the grindstone to break the bad habit.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:30
    M R, This iPad doesn't seem to do links so I can't find the Bates Motel.

What will happen to me there?

Not too sure about any of this.

Grit
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:362 edits
    M R, This iPad doesn't seem to do links so I can't find the Bates Motel.

What will happen to me there?

Not too sure about any of this.

Grit
    Edit - sorry I messed up, I sent you to the forums menu originally, which is wrong.

Can the iPad navigate the menus? Go to the "Clubs" button just under the logout button, and I think the Bates Motel club is on about the fifth page or so.

What will happen to you there? I have no idea why Greenpawn chose that name. But I think we can trust the "Chandler Cornered" guy. Just don't show up to the motel in person. 😉
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:45
    Found it! Wonder what I am in for now??????

Grit
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 18:46
    Found it! Wonder what I am in for now??????

Grit
    Something tells me you'd better be ready to work. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree