Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    01 Jul '05 16:19
    Something interesting I found while reading a book about the beginning of chess composition.
    White to play and win:
  2. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    01 Jul '05 17:39
    Nice. An interesting 2nd move.
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37900
    01 Jul '05 17:40
    Not too difficult. Black only makes forced moves.
  4. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    102838
    01 Jul '05 17:41
    KxN Qa1; h3 Qa2; h4 Qa1; h5 Qa2; h6 Qa1; h7 Qa2; h8=N Qa1;
    Nf7 Qa2; Nd6 Qa1; NxP Qa2; Na5 Qa1; NxR++

    Jeff
  5. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37900
    01 Jul '05 17:45
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    Nice. An interesting 2nd move.
    Yes, odd or even.
  6. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    01 Jul '05 17:48
    No, not too difficult. It was made by Otto Blathy famous not only with his mostrous chess problems (mate in 100+) and studies but with his inventions in engineering.
  7. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    01 Jul '05 17:54
    Okay, here is another from that period (around 1920's) by another author. Pawns only:

    White to draw
  8. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    01 Jul '05 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by jebry
    KxN Qa1; h3 Qa2; h4 Qa1; h5 Qa2; h6 Qa1; h7 Qa2; h8=N Qa1;
    Nf7 Qa2; Nd6 Qa1; NxP Qa2; Na5 Qa1; NxR++

    Jeff
    After 11. Na5 12...c4 draws. 😵
  9. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    01 Jul '05 18:281 edit
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Okay, here is another from that period (around 1920's) by another author. Pawns only:
    [fen]8/7p/8/8/8/5p1k/7P/6K1 [/fen]
    White to draw
    After 1...Kg4 I can't see any draw. 😛
  10. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    01 Jul '05 18:32
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    After 1...Kg4 I can't see any draw. 😛
    It's White to move 🙂
  11. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124154
    01 Jul '05 22:18
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Okay, here is another from that period (around 1920's) by another author. Pawns only:
    [fen]8/7p/8/8/8/5p1k/7P/6K1 [/fen]
    White to draw
    How about 1.Kf2 Kg4 2.Ke3! h5 (h6) 3.Kf2 Kf4 4.Kf1 Ke3 5.Ke1 f2+ 6.Kf1 h4 (h5) 7.h3 (h4)=. Looks a bit simple, but I don't see how else Black is going to make any progress. The idea for white is to make black use his h-pawn tempos first, so that he doesn't get zugged into playing Kg2 later.
  12. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    02 Jul '05 08:08
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    How about 1.Kf2 Kg4 2.Ke3! h5 (h6) 3.Kf2 Kf4 4.Kf1 Ke3 5.Ke1 f2+ 6.Kf1 h4 (h5) 7.h3 (h4)=. Looks a bit simple, but I don't see how else Black is going to make any progress. The idea for white is to make black use his h-pawn tempos first, so that he doesn't get zugged into playing Kg2 later.
    Okay that was easy and as I see from your solution not very correct 😉 The author was Grigoriev famous for his pawn studies.
    White was supposed to play 4.Ke1! after 2...h6 but I really cannot see a difference.
    Okay, another piece, this time however the question is:
    Can White draw? :
  13. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124154
    02 Jul '05 08:46
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Okay that was easy and as I see from your solution not very correct 😉 The author was Grigoriev famous for his pawn studies.
    White was supposed to play 4.Ke1! after 2...h6 but I really cannot see a difference.
    You gave up too soon! It appears 4.Ke1 is indeed forced.

    If 4.Kf1?? Ke3! 5.Ke1 f2+! 6.Kf1 Kf3! wins for Black. White is forced to move his h-pawn.
  14. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    02 Jul '05 08:54
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You gave up too soon! It appears 4.Ke1 is indeed forced.

    If 4.Kf1?? Ke3! 5.Ke1 f2+! 6.Kf1 Kf3! wins for Black. White is forced to move his h-pawn.
    Okay let's see:
    7.h4! and now what? 7...h5 stalemate; 7...Kg3(e3) 8.h5=; 7...Kg48.Kxf2=
  15. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37900
    02 Jul '05 09:23
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Okay that was easy and as I see from your solution not very correct 😉 The author was Grigoriev famous for his pawn studies.
    White was supposed to play 4.Ke1! after 2...h6 but I really cannot see a difference.
    Okay, another piece, this time however the question is:
    [b]Can White draw?
    :
    [fen]1k3B1r/N7/7P/8/3n4/7K/1b6/8 [/fen][/b]
    I don't have all variations yet, but I believe yes,white can draw with 1.Bg7 Rh7 (otherwise Bxd4+ and the fork on c6) 2.Kg4 Kxa7 (to be analysed what happens after other moves) 3.Kh5 Nf5 (Ne6? but I think that too will draw) 4.Bxb2 Rxh6+ 5.Kg5 Rh2 6.Be5 Rf2 7.Bf4 Nd4 (only move to escape from Be3+) 8.Be3 and black cannot get out of the pin without losing the knight. He can try 8. ... Rf5+ 9.Kg4 Rd5 10.Kf4 Kb6 but that won't help 11.Ke4 Kc5 12.Kd3 Rd6 (or other move on d-file) 13.Kc3 etc...

    Anyone helps for the other variations?
Back to Top