1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 07:40
    If the CoG moved up, there must be a countering motion. Conservation of momentum. Does the car bounce down onto it's shocks a little bit due to this?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 07:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If the CoG moved up, there must be a countering motion. Conservation of momentum. Does the car bounce down onto it's shocks a little bit due to this?
    Sure but that would tend to tilt the cup even further back, remember, the front tires tend to go up in the air, the back tires down so the tilting would be made worse by the change in tilt of the whole car, so that would make things worse from a tilting cup perspective. The 45 degree angle of the liquid would of course only last as long as the acceleration, a few seconds at most. You can assume the road is smooth so there will be no bumps up and down.
  3. Joined
    04 Dec '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 15:51
    just get anew van allready!!!!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 22:25
    Originally posted by eric palmqyist
    hehe, I wish! Much ado about nothing, eh🙂
  5. Brooklyn
    Moves
    24 Jan '08 23:07
    Originally posted by eric palmqyist
    duck tape would also work and i have almost the exact same problem when going around turns i solved it by buyong smaller drink sizes

also i couldnt even begin to guess the math in this
  6. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    25 Jan '08 00:38
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The center of gravity will shift horizontally but not vertically with a horizontal acceleration. The extra coffee in the back is removed from the front. The up-down position of the COG will not change.
    Does that make sense? I can't tell, but does somebody know? If the cup was perfectly level with respect to the direction of acceleration, would it slosh up the side or no?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Jan '08 23:14
    Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
    Does that make sense? I can't tell, but does somebody know? If the cup was perfectly level with respect to the direction of acceleration, would it slosh up the side or no?
    This is a good question. What exactly happens to a liquid in a cylinder as the cylinder is accelerated smoothly horizontally?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree