1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 23:40
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/graduate-student-solves-quantum-verification-problem-20181008/

The quantum verification problem now solved by her, how do you know a quantum computer is actually doing quantum stuff?

She worked out a protocol I guess sounds like a kind of Turning test for quantum computers that answers the question of a quantum computer actually doing quantum computing.
    She is a rising star!
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 08:19
    @sonhouse said
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/graduate-student-solves-quantum-verification-problem-20181008/

The quantum verification problem now solved by her, how do you know a quantum computer is actually doing quantum stuff?

She worked out a protocol I guess sounds like a kind of Turning test for quantum computers that answers the question of a quantum computer actually doing quantum computing.
    She is a rising star!
    You're not sceptial at all?
    I would like to have confirmation from more independant places before I swollow this fantastic news.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 12:591 edit
    @fabianfnas said
    You're not sceptial at all?
    I would like to have confirmation from more independant places before I swollow this fantastic news.
    Well, I might be skeptical but not sceptial at all๐Ÿ˜‰ I would imagine they have already vetted the process by which she proves a QC does quantum magic. I think there are enough QC chips out there to test her theory and that is probably why they accepted her paper even though QC chips at the present level are somewhere like computer chips were back in 1974, if you remember the 4004 chip, a 4 bit computer chip superseded by the 8008, the first 8 bit cpu and then the 8080 and that subsequent line of advancement we have now going from maybe 1 Mhz speed of those very early days to the multi gigahertz versions of today.
    There are QC's out there right now but maybe good enough to add two and two which just adds evidence they are actually doing QC things which is what this paper is all about. My guess is she found something real.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:221 edit
    @sonhouse said
    Well, I might be skeptical but not sceptial at all๐Ÿ˜‰ I would imagine they have already vetted the process by which she proves a QC does quantum magic. I think there are enough QC chips out there to test her theory and that is probably why they accepted her paper even though QC chips at the present level are somewhere like computer chips were back in 1974, if you remember t ...[text shortened]... tually doing QC things which is what this paper is all about. My guess is she found something real.
    I had a look at her paper. The proof depends on a learning algorithm being quantum intractable. This implies to me that the question is already basically settled, since what she's ruled out is the quantum machine learning to produce the result the verifier expects rather than doing a "real" quantum computation.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:25
    @deepthought said
    I had a look at her paper. The proof depends on a learning algorithm being quantum intractable. This implies to me that the question is already basically settled, since what she's ruled out is the quantum machine learning to produce the result the verifier expects rather than doing a "real" quantum computation.
    Wow, learning? Wouldn't that imply some kind of consciousness? How would it be able to 'learn'? How would it know what the operator wants?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:40
    @sonhouse said
    Wow, learning? Wouldn't that imply some kind of consciousness? How would it be able to 'learn'? How would it know what the operator wants?
    Don't get carried away by that, the learning algorithm just represents a way the machine could fool the verifier. They want to be able to prove the alleged quantum machine does quantum computation and doesn't arrive at its result by cheating in some way. The learning algorithm being tractable to the machine being tested would leave scope for a non-quantum algorithm to have solved the problem, undermining the claim that the machine is indeed a quantum computer. If the learning algorithm is computationally intractable even to the claimed capability of the machine then there is no alternative to the conclusion that the machine solved the problem directly by quantum computation.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '18 17:23
    @deepthought said
    Don't get carried away by that, the learning algorithm just represents a way the machine could fool the verifier. They want to be able to prove the alleged quantum machine does quantum computation and doesn't arrive at its result by cheating in some way. The learning algorithm being tractable to the machine being tested would leave scope for a non-quantum algorithm to h ...[text shortened]... o alternative to the conclusion that the machine solved the problem directly by quantum computation.
    Do you think her solution will be proven?
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 08:051 edit
    @sonhouse said

She is a rising star!

Jabba the Hutt had the answer, if the machine fails to perform, you get your droids to turn it upside down and turn hot steam jet's on its feet. No!...No!...No!!...Ahhhhh!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '18
    Moves
    15 Oct '18 23:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 15:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    ?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '18 10:02
    @mchill said
    It does! And it does not! It all depends on the probability wave at hand...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree