1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 09:547 edits
    https://techxplore.com/news/2018-06-dota-bots-hard-taught-cooperative.html

Dota 2 is an extremely complex game with much more complex rules (in terms of the number of rules) than chess and, unlike chess, requires cooperative behavior between individual people i.e. teamwork.
    This shows how AI can solve extremely complex problems and potentially better than humans.
    Although this problem is just a game, it does make me wonder what the AI potential is for solving real-world complex problems of great practical significance. The one problem I have in mind in particular is the problem of figuring out all the relevant quantum physics behind high temperature superconductors and then figure out molecular designs for room temperature superconductors or, if the laws of physics are such that they indirectly forbid room temperature superconductors, at least give some kind of mathematical proof of that so we know not to waste any more time and research money trying to do that impossibility. Either result would be of great value (although, obviously, I would prefer that the former one will be realized). But this would require the AI first learning the complex rules of quantum physics but the details of the correct way to apply those rules to superconductors is currently ill-defined so it would have to somehow 'learn' that part and I guess that would make this problem a few orders of magnitude harder than merely playing a game of Dota 2 well.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 19:141 edit
    Originally posted by @humy
    https://techxplore.com/news/2018-06-dota-bots-hard-taught-cooperative.html

Dota 2 is an extremely complex game with much more complex rules (in terms of the number of rules) than chess and, unlike chess, requires cooperative behavior between individual people i.e. teamwork.
    This shows how AI can solve extremely complex problems and potentially better than ...[text shortened]... ld make this problem a few orders of magnitude harder than merely playing a game of Dota 2 well.
    That work, extending AI past games is already going on:

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-ai-recreates-chemistry-periodic-table.html

So using AI with general principles, it figured out the periodic table on its own.

That is just the first step for these guys, they want to do exactly what you said, but not specifically superconductors but many searches like that in medicine for instance.

This Dota 2, is it more complex than Go? Obviously not the same kind of game but wondered if there was a way to compare the two games?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 20:23
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    So using AI with general principles, it figured out the periodic table on its own.
    Very introspective since AI's existence is dependent on mankind's invention of the periodic table. Can it learn its own "general principles" first, or do those need to be fed into the machine? If it did this, would it lead to alternative table designs? Might be easy to get caught in an existential web.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse

This Dota 2, is it more complex than Go? [/b]
    I never heard of Dota 2 until recently and am still unfamiliar with it but it is my understanding that the number of rules for Dota 2 are far greater than that for Go so the answer is yes, and it is much more complex than Go.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '18 14:23
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    Very introspective since AI's existence is dependent on mankind's invention of the periodic table. Can it learn its own "general principles" first, or do those need to be fed into the machine? If it did this, would it lead to alternative table designs? Might be easy to get caught in an existential web.
    That's the thing, they didn't give hints as to what to look for, it was a general algorithm, just organize the elements and it came up with the periodic table on its own. Just a hint of what that technology can accomplish and like you say, may lead to room temp superconductors, maybe fusion reactors, cure for cancer and so forth.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jun '18 05:40
    Originally posted by @wildgrass
    Was the Periodic Table invented or discovered?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Jun '18 05:48
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Was the Periodic Table invented or discovered?
    I think the answer is both.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree