1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 11:071 edit
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-11-anti-covid-nasal-ready-humans.html

"...A pre-print (not yet peer-reviewed) study describes cell culture experiments designed to test the ability of the solution to inhibit infection. They found cell-virus cultures inhibited the infection up to 48 hours after being treated with the solution and when diluted many times....
    The team believe the spray could be particularly useful in areas where crowding is less avoidable, such as airplanes or classrooms. Regular application of the spray could significantly reduce disease transmission.

"Products like these don't replace existing measures such as mask wearing and handwashing, which will continue to be vital to preventing the spread of the virus," adds Dr. Moakes. "What this spray will do, however, is add a second layer of protection to prevent and slow virus transmission."
    ..."

There's clearly a few significant caveats there but, still, looks promising to me. It could be of significant help and work well when combined with (NOT replacing) face masks and social distancing. Just like face masks and social distancing, it wouldn't be fool proof but doesn't have to be to slow down the virus spread.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 12:16
    @humy said
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-11-anti-covid-nasal-ready-humans.html

"...A pre-print (not yet peer-reviewed) study describes cell culture experiments designed to test the ability of the solution to inhibit infection. They found cell-virus cultures inhibited the infection up to 48 hours after being treated with the solution and when diluted many times....
    The team b ...[text shortened]... d social distancing, it wouldn't be fool proof but doesn't have to be to slow down the virus spread.
    Another nasal spray vaccine for polio was made and caused more polio than it prevented. Will this one be using Africans as guinea pigs too?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 12:4310 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Another nasal spray vaccine for polio was made and caused more polio than it prevented.
    WOW what an ignorant arrogant moron you are!
    "Another nasal spray vaccine"?
    It is a "nasal spray" but if you had bothered to read the OP link you would see this is NOT for a proposed nasal spray vaccine but just a non-vaccine nasal spray that thus doesn't use live virus thus there is absolutely NO risk of it causing covid.
    It just uses the combination of the two substances, NOT viruses, of carrageenan and gellan to smother and neutralize covid particles hopefully before they have a chance to infect cells and this is meant to only give some temporary albeit still potentially very useful protection.
    As I said in my OP, "There's clearly a few significant caveats" but one of those caveats is certainly NOT that it could give you covid and this still looks potentially good and hopefully it will pan out.
    If it does pan out, I for one will want to use it in combination with (and NOT instead of) face masks and social distancing to both further reduce my chances of catching it and thus then also reduce my chances of spreading it; This is what a responsible human being would do.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 15:55
    @metal-brain said
    Another nasal spray vaccine for polio was made and caused more polio than it prevented. Will this one be using Africans as guinea pigs too?
    In the 1950s there were two vaccines developed, the Salk vaccine which was injected, and the Sabin vaccine which was taken orally [1]. The Salk vaccine developed a problem because two of the suppliers produced versions which had not been correctly deactivated. So some children developed the disease the vaccine was meant to protect them from. The Sabin vaccine can spontaneously reactivate but tends not to be a problem for the person vaccinated, it can be a problem in areas with marginal vaccine uptake and poor sanitation. This is discussed in the Wikipedia article [3] as well as two academic papers linked to from the Wikipedia article [1][2].

There are attempts to develop a nasal spray version of the Sabin vaccine, I googled "polio vaccine spray" and looked at, but did not follow, the links. They appear not to be past the trial stage. So your first statement is not exactly false, but not exactly true either.

The trials at the time, both in the US and in what was then the Belgian Congo, wouldn't get past a modern ethics committee.

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928990/
    [2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/
    [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 19:436 edits
    @deepthought said

The trials at the time, both in the US and in what was then the Belgian Congo, wouldn't get past a modern ethics committee.
    So he is complaining about some unethical policy that once existed but no longer likely to exist today and thus is irrelevant to the issue of modern vaccines and current vaccine development. And that's not even to mention that is also irrelevant to the OP mentioned nasal spray anyway because that nasal spray isn't even a vaccine. He seemingly automatically attacks anything I posted, often without even bothering to read it to the full as shown when he gets his facts completely wrong as here in this case, not because there is something wrong with the post but just because I posted it.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Nov '20 21:02
    @humy said
    So he is complaining about some unethical policy that once existed but no longer likely to exist today and thus is irrelevant to the issue of modern vaccines and current vaccine development. And that's not even to mention that is also irrelevant to the OP mentioned nasal spray anyway because that nasal spray isn't even a vaccine. He seemingly automatically attacks anything I pos ...[text shortened]... here in this case, not because there is something wrong with the post but just because I posted it.
    There were numerous problems with the polio vaccine trials. The sentence about not getting it past a modern ethics committee was to address his point about using Africans as Guinea Pigs.

Except for the relevance problem that the nasal spray you referred to in the OP is not a vaccine, the Cutter incident is of relevance, Cutter was the name of the first of the two laboratories whose faulty procedures caused some batches of the Salk vaccine against Polio to contain live viruses. This is a potential concern with some types of vaccine.

However, the Wikipedia article mentions that in 1953 the number of annual polio cases in the US was 35,000 which had dropped to 161 by 1961. The Cutter and Wyeth laboratories released 100,000 doses of vaccine containing live viruses. The Cutter incident caused 40,000 cases of polio and 10 deaths, the Wyeth batch also caused a number of deaths (the Wikipedia article doesn't say how many). There can be at most 100,000 cases of polio from these faulty vaccines. In the 70 years since polio vaccines have been introduced there would have been almost 2.5 million cases of polio had we not had the vaccines.

The Sabin vaccine is not dangerous to the person vaccinated, but they can excrete live polio virus which can be a problem in countries with poor sanitation. The WHO thinks that there were more vaccine derived cases of polio than wild strain polio for the first time in 2017. There are a few more details about this in the Wikipedia page [1].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine#Vaccine-induced_polio
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '20 02:36
    @deepthought said
    In the 1950s there were two vaccines developed, the Salk vaccine which was injected, and the Sabin vaccine which was taken orally [1]. The Salk vaccine developed a problem because two of the suppliers produced versions which had not been correctly deactivated. So some children developed the disease the vaccine was meant to protect them from. The Sabin vaccine can spont ...[text shortened]... tps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1383764/
    [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine
    UN says new polio outbreak in Sudan caused by oral vaccine

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-health-middle-east-africa-united-nations-619efb65b9eeec5650f011b960a152e9
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Nov '20 04:43
    @metal-brain said
    UN says new polio outbreak in Sudan caused by oral vaccine

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-health-middle-east-africa-united-nations-619efb65b9eeec5650f011b960a152e9
    -which has nothing to do with the OP mentioned nasal spray because that entioned nasal spray isn't even a vaccine and cannot possibly give you virus. As usual, you make no point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree