1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 16:53
    Computer generated proof of a math problem set out by Erdos now solved by computer but can it be trusted when the proof runs gigabytes long? Remember, a 300 page book can be put in a one megabyte file.
    So this 13 GIGABYTE proof would be about the same as a city library full of books.

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-math-proof-large-humans.html

What now, sports fans?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '14 18:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Computer generated proof of a math problem set out by Erdos now solved by computer but can it be trusted when the proof runs gigabytes long? Remember, a 300 page book can be put in a one megabyte file.
    So this 13 GIGABYTE proof would be about the same as a city library full of books.

http://phys.org/news/2014-02-math-proof-large-humans.html

What now, sports fans?
    Punt.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '14 10:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Punt.
    Please, elaborate...
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 09:411 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Please, elaborate...
    It is my experience that, when he gives a nonsense post (which is always ) , when you ask him to explain it, he responds by giving yet another nonsense post.
    This is just one of the many reasons why I have installed software to block his posts so I do not see them and thus have no temptation to totally waste my time responding to them else I find it psychologically very hard to just ignore it and not respond to such rubbish. It is just so hard each time to resist the massive temptation to point out the obvious of what is so terribly wrong with what he says, isn't it!
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 10:06
    Originally posted by humy
    It is my experience that, when he gives a nonsense post (which is always ) , when you ask him to explain it, he responds by giving yet another nonsense post.
    This is just one of the many reasons why I have installed software to block his posts so I do not see them and thus have no temptation to totally waste my time responding to them else I find it psycholog ...[text shortened]... ve temptation to point out the obvious of what is so terribly wrong with what he says, isn't it!
    Yes, he is peculiar.

I just don't understand the very word "punt". I cannot locate it in my dictionary, and it has 130,000 entries. That's why I wanted him to elaborate. However, I don't think he knows anything about math proofs at all. If his creationist friends don't have to say about it, then he is totally silent. Unless he automatically refer to his beloved pet evilution theory or something alike.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 10:351 edit
    Yes, he is peculiar.

I just don't understand the very word "punt". I cannot locate it in my dictionary, and it has 130,000 entries. That's why I wanted him to elaborate. However, I don't think he knows anything about math proofs at all. If his creationist friends don't have to say about it, then he is totally silent. Unless he automatically refer to his beloved pet evilution theory or something alike.
    I don't think he knows anything about math proofs at all.

LOL. That is to say the least. He has the bad habit of talking about things he is completely ignorant of. It is always amazing how much he has to say and how much opinion he has on things he doesn't know the slightest thing about and yet he always condescending and arrogantly makes out he knows EVERYTHING about it better than we do! I have literally never known any person quite as opinionated as him.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 11:572 edits
    Yes, he is peculiar.

I can help with 'punt'. It is an American football term, and baseball, you punt the ball in baseball, for instance, when the pitcher and the rest of the opposing team thinks you are going to go for a home run, bat the ball out of the park but instead you hold the bat with both hands and just barely tap the ball and it goes forward a couple of feet and drops, like a drop shot in tennis, which lands very close to the net making it difficult for the other player to strike the ball. In baseball, it is a surprise attack designed to throw people off, like if bases were loaded a couple of runs might get in and you get your butt to first base before they can scramble around to pick up the ball and throw it to whoever they need to, but you hope that will come too late for the play to be over and everyone on the batter's team safe.

That was just picked up by me by osmosis🙂 I don't follow baseball. I am more of a tennis dude in sports, played badminton in college, won first place in our little college tournament, got a trophy about 100 mm high🙂
    I was kind of embarrassed to even pick it up compared to all the football stars and wrestlers picking up their 2 meter high trophies🙂
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 12:07
    I can help with 'punt'. It is an American football term, and baseball, you punt the ball in baseball, for instance, when the pitcher and the rest of the opposing team thinks you are going to go for a home run, bat the ball out of the park but instead you hold the bat with both hands and just barely tap the ball and it goes forward a couple of feet and drops ...[text shortened]... it up compared to all the football stars and wrestlers picking up their 2 meter high trophies🙂
    And by this I've learnt a new word. 🙂

What our friend meant was, that the proof was meant to be very lengthy when in fact it became a tiny book anyone would be fooled by?

Well, never mind. What he means and what he rights is never the same anyway. By doing that he can always whine of that "this was not what I wrote" or "this was not what I meant". A good strategy. Once, Sometimes twice. But never thrice.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '14 12:15
    And by this I've learnt a new word. 🙂

What our friend meant was, that the proof was meant to be very lengthy when in fact it became a tiny book anyone would be fooled by?

Well, never mind. What he means and what he rights is never the same anyway. By doing that he can always whine of that "this was not what I wrote" or "this was not what I meant". A good strategy. Once, Sometimes twice. But never thrice.
    I think he was thinking more along the lines of 'do nothing', it's not worth the effort, something like that. He has always been anti science even though he vigorously denies that. My guess is he won't be back to this particular thread at all.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 01:201 edit
    I can help with 'punt'. It is an American football term, and baseball, you punt the ball in baseball, for instance, when the pitcher and the rest of the opposing team thinks you are going to go for a home run, bat the ball out of the park but instead you hold the bat with both hands and just barely tap the ball and it goes forward a couple of feet and drops ...[text shortened]... it up compared to all the football stars and wrestlers picking up their 2 meter high trophies🙂
    It's also a kind of flat bottomed boat propelled by a pole.

Slightly more on topic, the proof consists of an algorithm which can be checked. The program can be implemented independently and checked on different hardware - it's no different from drawing conclusions from a simulation or in some respects from doing an experiment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree