Science Forum

Science Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 09:091 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jan/09/flat-earth-cruise-nautical-navigation

"All aboard the Flat Earth cruise – just don’t tell them about nautical navigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/may/27/is-the-earth-pancake-flat-among-the-flat-earthers-conspiracy-theories-fake-news

"Is the Earth flat? Meet the people questioning science"
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 19:39
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jan/09/flat-earth-cruise-nautical-navigation

"All aboard the Flat Earth cruise – just don’t tell them about nautical navigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/may/27/is-the-earth-pancake-flat-among-the-flat-earthers-conspiracy-theories-fake-news

All you have to do is chart the path a flat Earth trip would take in a straight line V a 'straight' path say in aircraft around Earth. It is easy to show they could cross over completely different land masses.

Hasn't anyone done that, say film the flight with camera looking down out the window and showing the land masses going by on that trip and then showing where a straight line would lead on a flat Earth map, they would not be even close to the same points, going in straight lines from point A on both maps, say Paris as Point A and Tierra Fuego as point B. The flat Earth trip would not see the same land masses and Islands as the 'straight' path which is really a curved path around the planet but maintaining the same heading.

Also, going around the equator on the flat Earth, which would be a circle, you could not just point it on a straight path, say an airplane starting at some point on that circular path, keep flying that direction and you would soon not be on the equator any more because you have to keep steering left or steering right depending on which direction you are going on that theoretical trip.
    You would constantly have to change directions, easily read out with even a simple nav compass to keep on the equator of this flat Earth.

On the REAL world, you could start a trip going either way on the equator and having the same nav compass, going in a straight line you would still be right on top of the equator no matter how long you flew.

I wonder if either of those points have been pointed out to anyone on those anti science conventions? Do they allow refuting POV speakers to talk and bring THEIR videos and other evidence?

I don't follow these conventions so I don't know if they ever even ALLOW refutational speakers to talk or some kind of real debate to happen there.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 09:00
    @duchess64 said

Sell all the passengers extra life insurance, in case the ship falls off the edge. I guarantee, you won't ever have to pay out a claim; you can't lose.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 16:291 edit
    @moonbus said
    Sell all the passengers extra life insurance, in case the ship falls off the edge. I guarantee, you won't ever have to pay out a claim; you can't lose.
    So if you leave a gravity field on this flat Earth by driving over the edge, where is the gravity to make you 'fall'? Seems like what would really happen is you would just be driving over the edge which is supposed to be some 10 miles deep or some such rot.
    It's really funny that people would think you would somehow fall off and fall somewhere, I don't know, maybe to the butts of the Elephants holding up the Earth?
    So then when you do your ten miles you would then be driving on the main plane of Earth but on the bottom flat now.............
  5. Albion
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 20:021 edit
    @sonhouse
    That would make one turtle.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 22:47
    @sonhouse said
    So if you leave a gravity field on this flat Earth by driving over the edge, where is the gravity to make you 'fall'? Seems like what would really happen is you would just be driving over the edge which is supposed to be some 10 miles deep or some such rot.
    It's really funny that people would think you would somehow fall off and fall somewhere, I don't know, maybe to the bu ...[text shortened]... n miles you would then be driving on the main plane of Earth but on the bottom flat now.............
    There are so many obvious flaws to the theory of flat earthism, one hardly knows where to start. What keeps the oceans from flowing away into space? "A wall of ice round the rim." Right, now what keeps the air from flowing away over the top of the wall? DUH. ...
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 23:182 edits
    @moonbus said
    There are so many obvious flaws to the theory of flat earthism, one hardly knows where to start. What keeps the oceans from flowing away into space? "A wall of ice round the rim." Right, now what keeps the air from flowing away over the top of the wall? DUH. ...
    Did you read my bit about the geography of flat Earth V the real world like the paths that a plane would take over FE V the real thing? Or flying the equator where you never have to change directions on the real Earth but on FE you would have to keep turning left or right, ever so slightly but measurable to keep your sight in the FE equator?

One I brought up: The magnetic field of Earth. We know the lines of magnetic force concentrates at the north and south pole but on FE there IS no south pole so there would be no convergence of forces there. In fact it looks to me like there would be a force concentration at the NORTH pole but the force would be spread out all away around the rim, a dilution of field strength not a concentration.

Or even ask them WHY there is a magnetic field on Earth in the first place if Earth is say 20 miles thick......

Or why you can show the magnetic lines of force are opposite poles in the SP V the NP.......

Or the fact that the stars rotate in the opposite direction south of the equator V the direction of spin north of the equator.......

Or the photos taken from a million miles in space showing all of Antarctica in one image, of course FAKED😉

And on and on and on........
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 06:52
    @sonhouse said
    Did you read my bit about the geography of flat Earth V the real world like the paths that a plane would take over FE V the real thing? Or flying the equator where you never have to change directions on the real Earth but on FE you would have to keep turning left or right, ever so slightly but measurable to keep your sight in the FE equator?

One I brought up: The magnet ...[text shortened]... s in space showing all of Antarctica in one image, of course FAKED😉

And on and on and on........
    Well, of course. But arguing with a flat earth-er is like arguing with a Young Earth Christian: facts just bounce off them and leave no impression.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '19 18:21
    @moonbus said
    Well, of course. But arguing with a flat earth-er is like arguing with a Young Earth Christian: facts just bounce off them and leave no impression.
    So that makes it their religion which by definition does not allow for critical thinking.