1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    09 Nov '22 13:20
    @venda said
    Looking back,I can think of numerous decisions and events that changed my life forever.
    I can't believe they were all inevitable
    They weren't, some people feel more comfortable with things like gods and pre-destiny if you say leave the house because your least favourite cousin is dropping by that’s not fate it’s just the result of a decision you made based on your feelings for your cousin and if you pop into a pub while your out and meet your one true love that’s just random chance, if you went into the next pub you may have met another one true love.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Nov '22 14:13
    @sonhouse said
    @venda
    My guess is those theorists are making the case that all the events in the universe, an asteroid hitting Earth killing dino's, the Vesuvius eruption and the like, are like stills on a movie where each 'still' is some coordinate system where each time hack is quantized, each time hack being something like 10 to the minus 33 seconds per hack as just an example and each ...[text shortened]... y can point to as a way to prove or disprove that concept. I think it fails the falsifiability test.
    I don't really follow the time hack argument but I suspect you are saying that similarly there is no way to prove, or disprove the concept of a god.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Nov '22 22:011 edit
    @venda said
    I don't really follow the time hack argument but I suspect you are saying that similarly there is no way to prove, or disprove the concept of a god.
    Depends on what kind of god you're talking about. And anyway many gods could, when cornered, be whisked away to a supernatural realm which is, by definition, a realm beyond the ken of our present-day science.

The notion of an omniscient god, on the other hand, may be de facto disproved by the mathematical theorems of Kurt Gödel.
  4. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 07:55
    @soothfast said
    Depends on what kind of god you're talking about. And anyway many gods could, when cornered, be whisked away to a supernatural realm which is, by definition, a realm beyond the ken of our present-day science.

The notion of an omniscient god, on the other hand, may be de facto disproved by the mathematical theorems of Kurt Gödel.
    Nice!
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 08:20
    @mlb62 said
    https://www.grunge.com/731050/why-the-past-present-and-future-may-exist-all-at-once/
    I like this thread. I am glad you created it. Perhaps I have a hard time accepting my choices don't matter, but I if I accepted fate I would have to accept suicide help lines don't save lives. Seat belt laws save lives so they say. Seat belt laws would have to be fate too. What if I rebelled and stopped wearing my seat belt all because you created this thread? If that is not really a free will decision I make you creating this thread would have to be fate too, unless it is fate I don't get into an automobile accident.

So now I have come full circle. Is it pointless to wear a seat belt because it will not change fate? If some philanthropist is funding a suicide help line is he/she wasting their money or is that fate too? Better hope they don't read this thread and stop funding help lines or is it fate they don't read this?

Choices are supposed to matter. We have been taught that our whole lives. What if sh76 reads this and decides not to encourage his son to go to college? Is that fate too? It is not easy to accept decisions are not really free will decisions.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 15:001 edit

Removed by poster

7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 16:25
    @metal-brain said
    I like this thread. I am glad you created it. Perhaps I have a hard time accepting my choices don't matter, but I if I accepted fate I would have to accept suicide help lines don't save lives. Seat belt laws save lives so they say. Seat belt laws would have to be fate too. What if I rebelled and stopped wearing my seat belt all because you created this thread? If that is ...[text shortened]... to college? Is that fate too? It is not easy to accept decisions are not really free will decisions.
    Somewhat off topic.
    We were told in Naples that Italian drivers there hate wearing seat belts.
    The police started a campaign of pulling over drivers seen not to be wearing a seat belt and issuing spot fines.
    There came on sale shortly afterwards "t" shirts with a black diagonal stripe across
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    11 Nov '22 18:56
    @venda said
    There came on sale shortly afterwards "t" shirts with a black diagonal stripe across
    lol.... 😀
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '22 18:16
    @venda
    That would have saved my ass one fine day in New Jersey🙂
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '22 15:41
    @mlb62
    I thought you might find this interesting. Yuval Noah Harari, author of 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (September 2018) tells us in an essay in The Guardian on why free will is a dangerous myth in modern technological society.

https://mindmatters.ai/2018/10/is-free-will-a-dangerous-myth/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree