1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 11:441 edit
    http://www.heavens-above.com/

Lots of info there for those interested in astronomy.

Also satellite data. My hobby, amateur radio (my call AI3N), and there is a complete list of ham satellites, now numbering well over 100. That was a surprise, so many in orbit right now. If you have a receiver tuned to the right frequency you can hear talking going on between two hams on Earth using a ham sat for relay. Frequencies either in the 440 to 450 Mhz or 144 to 148 Mhz downlink frequencies.

I guess not many people care about that but there is a lot of info there.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 03:27
    My dad passed in 2006 but he was WA6ANR 🙂 He only was licensed to do code but he had many regular stations that he worked

Manny
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 10:582 edits
    Originally posted by menace71
    My dad passed in 2006 but he was WA6ANR 🙂 He only was licensed to do code but he had many regular stations that he worked

Manny
    Ah, a California boy. My original call, my very first one was KN6QDT, which my contemporaries immediately said, Oh, Queer Dumb Termite🙂

That was when I was 13. I got the general licence later, where they remove the N (N stands for novice) and it became K6QDT. I changed the alliteration to Quit Doing Tobacco🙂

Later still, I passed the extra test and now living in Pennsylvania where they are in 3 call land, I kept getting asked 'Oh, a California call, are you just passing through? On vacation?' even though I had been living here 20 years!

So I looked up interesting calls in the callbook and found one that works really nice in code, AI3N Dit dah, Dit dit, dit dit dit dah Daj, Dah Dit. Short and sweet. So that is my call now, Pennsylvania types don't ask me if I am on vacation any more😉

What happened to his ham gear? Did you study ham stuff yourself? Sorry to hear of your father's passing. I went through that myself in 1980, but it was not natural, it was homicide from a robbery, where my mom and step dad were also shot. Dad did not survive but mom and step dad did.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree