1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Feb '17 13:37
    A lot of research is not cost-effective initially. A few nuggets tend to cover the losses of many failed research projects.

No doubt someone will drive hybrid-genetic research forward, whatever the cost. I recall a S. Korean professor who first cloned a sheep, to mixed acclaim and disapproval.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '17 21:18
    Originally posted by moonbus
    A lot of research is not cost-effective initially. A few nuggets tend to cover the losses of many failed research projects.

No doubt someone will drive hybrid-genetic research forward, whatever the cost. I recall a S. Korean professor who first cloned a sheep, to mixed acclaim and disapproval.
    Dolly the sheep was cloned 20 years ago. But other than a handful of research projects, the technology has progressed very slowly. I don't know a lot about about it, but I think they are currently some small-scale efforts to clone cattle commercially, and some efforts to clone large numbers of cattle but, again, it's been 20 years and the cost is still sky high.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/20-years-after-dolly-the-sheep-led-the-way-where-is-cloning-now/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree