1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Mar '14 23:43
    We have just replaced all the bulbs in our kitchen with LEDs and WOW
    what a great light. Each one is 4watt and pushes out 400lumens. But it's
    not just money saving (guaranteed for 3 years but could last forever)
    the quality of the light has t be seen to be believed ... makes the rest of
    the house look orange at night. My son said it looks like the sun coming
    in through the window.

Anyway - if you haven't tried them yet - I highly recommend them. ๐Ÿ˜€
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 07:21
    What did you have before? What is in the rest of the house?
    CFLs come with various colors of light.
    I haven't yet seen LEDs here in SA yet, but most of us switched to CFLs a few years back because of a big push for power saving. Its time that incandescents were either banned or heavily taxed.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 07:21
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    We have just replaced all the bulbs in our kitchen with LEDs and WOW
    what a great light. Each one is 4watt and pushes out 400lumens. But it's
    not just money saving (guaranteed for 3 years but could last forever)
    the quality of the light has t be seen to be believed ... makes the rest of
    the house look orange at night. My son said it looks like the ...[text shortened]...
    in through the window.

Anyway - if you haven't tried them yet - I highly recommend them. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I replace to LED wherever the old bulb runs out. But I don't have orange light, it is as any other artificial light, no difference. I did the mistake in the beginning to not look at the optic temperature, so I have some with a strange bluish/greenish light. I don't like to use them where I spend time.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 12:31
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I replace to LED wherever the old bulb runs out. But I don't have orange light, it is as any other artificial light, no difference. I did the mistake in the beginning to not look at the optic temperature, so I have some with a strange bluish/greenish light. I don't like to use them where I spend time.
    What color temperature rating did you settle on? We have here in the US a franchise of stores called Batteries Plus Lights and they have all sorts of LED's and spiral bulbs, the spirals have as much as 3500 lumens! And they have a color temperature display showing how light of various temperatures effect the colors of things in a room.

What is your favorite color temperature for inside your house?

I will jump on the LED bandwagon when the price gets to about 10% of what they are now, which is around $50 per bulb.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 12:441 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What color temperature rating did you settle on? We have here in the US a franchise of stores called Batteries Plus Lights and they have all sorts of LED's and spiral bulbs, the spirals have as much as 3500 lumens! And they have a color temperature display showing how light of various temperatures effect the colors of things in a room.

What is your favor ...[text shortened]... D bandwagon when the price gets to about 10% of what they are now, which is around $50 per bulb.
    I like the same temp as old time bulbs.

50 US dollars? I buy mine for like 100 Swedish kronor, 15 US dollars....

Example: http://www.biltema.se/sv/Sok/?query=led-lampa
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 14:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I like the same temp as old time bulbs.

50 US dollars? I buy mine for like 100 Swedish kronor, 15 US dollars....

Example: http://www.biltema.se/sv/Sok/?query=led-lampa
    Naturally they are cheaper overseas from the US. The cheapest I ever saw LED's here are $25 but the ones with the best color temp are still twice that.

These prices are bound to come down in the next year or two and the efficiencies are now better than spirals and are due to get better yet.

Both are a far cry from the efficiency of tungsten bulbs which max out at about 2 % light, 98% heat. I guess if you get technical it's still light. Frequency a bit low though๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 16:04
    24 pack of 60 watts in the US runs about $10, at least that's the price I got when I looked at the Lowe's site.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 16:06
    Originally posted by Eladar
    24 pack of 60 watts in the US runs about $10, at least that's the price I got when I looked at the Lowe's site.
    For LED's? Sounds like spiral bulb prices.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 16:27
    No, the regular old fashioned light bulbs. When you don't need them, you turn them off and they are as efficient as the more expensive kind at a fraction of the cost.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 16:53
    No, the regular old fashioned light bulbs. When you don't need them, you turn them off and they are as efficient as the more expensive kind at a fraction of the cost.
    No they aren't.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 17:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No they aren't.
    How much electricity do the old bulbs use when the lights are turned off?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 19:31
    There is this tiny detail that the old tungsten bulbs are already or soon to be illegal to buy, at least home variety. I can see places only tungsten works, in my semiconductor lab for instance there are specialized tungsten bulbs that give high intensity in a very hot environment, for instance, the sputtering tool can have internal heat to heat the silicon or whatever substrate you use (we use alumina) but you can't get that kind of heat (800 degrees C and more) inside a vacuum chamber so tungsten bulbs will still be made but just not the house variety.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 19:38
    I think that law got changed. This is why you can still buy them.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 19:40
    If you aren't going to use them, the most efficient solution is not to buy lamps.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Mar '14 20:10
    What we can purchase here are arrays of LEDs with a battery pack. They cost about US$10 here in SA and I believe even less in Zambia.
    In Zambia we use them a lot because of all the power cuts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree