1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Apr '19 09:164 edits
    https://phys.org/news/2019-04-veritable-powerhouseseven-dna.html
    "...the cells of most life forms contain special structures that are responsible for energy production. Referred to as mitochondria, they normally have their own genetic material, in addition to that found in the nucleus. Uwe John and colleagues at the Alfred Wegener Institute have now identified the first-ever exception to this rule in a single-celled parasite. The mitochondria of the dinoflagellate Amoebophrya ceratii appear to produce energy just like our own mitochondria, but without any genetic material,
    ..."

One of my ideas is that one of the causes of the aging process in humans can be greatly reduced by genetically modifying all the cells of our body so to move the DNA in our mitochondria to the cell nucleus where it won't be nearly so badly exposed to free radical damage but can still function to maintain the mitochondria 'at a distance'. I predict such a genetic modification would extend our life spans and possibly by as much as a few decades.
    This study in the above link implies this is at least possible in theory because something like it has already happened in nature.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Apr '19 13:24
    @humy said
    "...the cells of most life forms contain special structures that are responsible for energy production. Referred to as mitochondria, they normally have their own genetic material, in addition to that found in the nucleus. Uwe John and colleagues at the Alfred Wegener Institute have now identified the first-ever ex ...[text shortened]... mplies this is at least possible in theory because something like it has already happened in nature.
    We'll see what further research shows.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '19 18:33
    @humy said
    "...the cells of most life forms contain special structures that are responsible for energy production. Referred to as mitochondria, they normally have their own genetic material, in addition to that found in the nucleus. Uwe John and colleagues at the Alfred Wegener Institute have now identified the first-ever ex ...[text shortened]... mplies this is at least possible in theory because something like it has already happened in nature.
    I just saw this. It's a great study.

The genetic autonomy of mitochondria has always been a bit of a mystery. My understanding of mitochondrial function was that the localized DNA (sometimes hundreds of copies in a single cell) helped with speed and efficiency. Mitochondria could rapidly re-synthesize proteins that were needed for changing metabolic output. So if there was a sudden decrease in glucose levels, for example, the mitochondria wouldn't have to ask the nucleus first if it should slow power production to save energy. Maybe these dinoflagellates don't need these rapid response mechanisms, or they do it in another way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree