1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 18:05
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-heartbreaking-anti-inflammatory-drugs.html

They mentioned that one but I imagine some of the same things can be said of Ibuprofen and others also.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 18:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-heartbreaking-anti-inflammatory-drugs.html

They mentioned that one but I imagine some of the same things can be said of Ibuprofen and others also.
    All drugs have benefits and side effects and the secret is to know as much as possible about both and then decide what is the sum total. Typically that is the doctors job although you can get involved too if you have the education and time to do the necessary research.

In general, don't take drugs more than you need to.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 19:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    All drugs have benefits and side effects and the secret is to know as much as possible about both and then decide what is the sum total. Typically that is the doctors job although you can get involved too if you have the education and time to do the necessary research.

In general, don't take drugs more than you need to.
    Couldn't agree more. I only take one pill, valsartin, for blood pressure. One doc told me it has benefits beyond blood pressure.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Apr '16 21:27
    Couldn't agree more. I only take one pill, valsartin, for blood pressure. One doc told me it has benefits beyond blood pressure.
    It has a long list of side effects and possible detriments too. However, if you have high blood pressure then the benefits probably outweigh the possible detriments.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Apr '16 09:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It has a long list of side effects and possible detriments too. However, if you have high blood pressure then the benefits probably outweigh the possible detriments.
    My high BP mainly comes from the job, it can be stressful coming up with solutions to big problems (big for us, since I am in charge of maintenance and upgrades and designs on 3 sputtering tools and gold die bonders and photo resist spinners and wet benches and microscopes, I have responsibility for half the equipment in our cleanroom and it gets a bit stressful when I don't immediately come up with a solution, sometimes parts availability, sometimes poor designs by our resident mechanical engineer that I have to fix and so forth.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 May '16 21:181 edit
    My high BP mainly comes from the job, it can be stressful coming up with solutions to big problems (big for us, since I am in charge of maintenance and upgrades and designs on 3 sputtering tools and gold die bonders and photo resist spinners and wet benches and microscopes, I have responsibility for half the equipment in our cleanroom and it gets a bit stre ...[text shortened]... ity, sometimes poor designs by our resident mechanical engineer that I have to fix and so forth.
    Is everyone shouting at you all the time? "Igor, my electro-pneumatic plasma deionizer is on the fritz again -- fix it posthaste, dear fellow, dear fellow, fix it forthwith or I'll surely go mad!!!"
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 May '16 23:03

If you read it again you will see that naproxen was the control. The drug studied against it and found to cause the reported problems was meclofenamate sodium (meclomen).
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '16 13:542 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    If you read it again you will see that naproxen was the control. The drug studied against it and found to cause the reported problems was meclofenamate sodium (meclomen).
    "Naproxen did not affect proteasome function or cause heart cells to die. It did, however, impair mitochondrial function and increase reactive oxygen species produced in cardiac cells. It also is associated with an increase in the chance of stroke."

This was the next sentence in that piece. Still bad news. NSAID's are something to be used only briefly, never use this stuff long term.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 May '16 04:56
    "Naproxen did not affect proteasome function or cause heart cells to die. It did, however, impair mitochondrial function and increase reactive oxygen species produced in cardiac cells. It also is associated with an increase in the chance of stroke."

This was the next sentence in that piece. Still bad news. NSAID's are something to be used only briefly, never use this stuff long term.
    Well, yes, consider the pros and cons of everything you put into your body. But naproxen was the control, not the culprit in this study.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree