1. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 04:31
    Do you think it will ever be possible to prove the existence of gravitons through observation? Will we ever be able to shield neutrinos to reduce background disturbance enough to see gravitons?

Your thoughts.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 11:211 edit
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    Do you think it will ever be possible to prove the existence of gravitons through observation? Will we ever be able to shield neutrinos to reduce background disturbance enough to see gravitons?

Your thoughts.
    What do we mean by 'observation'? All things we observe is just secondary measurements.
    Have we seen an electron? No, but we've seen its effects.
    Will we ever see an graviton? No, but perhaps we will se its effects.
    Just some thoughts.
  3. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 15:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What do we mean by 'observation'? All things we observe is just secondary measurements.
    Just some thoughts.
    Yes, that's what I meant. Perhaps... but not only the effects, but also the interaction with visible particles, like we can see with neutrinos.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 17:13

Your thoughts.
    If the model is right, there must be a particle to mediate gravitation, and sooner or later it'll be detected.
    Personally, I'm skeptic.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 17:49
    Originally posted by serigado
    If the model is right, there must be a particle to mediate gravitation, and sooner or later it'll be detected.
    Personally, I'm skeptic.
    I would rather say that - Sooner or later it will be detected if anyone has money and skill enough to do it, which is not 100% probable.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 17:55
    I would rather say that - Sooner or later it will be detected if anyone has money and skill enough to do it, which is not 100% probable.
    My problem is with the model itself.
    Gravitons are no more then a generalization. The truth is when we do it, the model no longer works... So what physicists did was to change the model to make gravitons fit.

Nature is by nature lazy, and I believe it is ruled by the simplest principles. These complex theories only come from our lack of understanding of something we didn't grasp yet.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 18:19
    Nature is by nature lazy, and I believe it is ruled by the simplest principles. These complex theories only come from our lack of understanding of something we didn't grasp yet.
    Yes, agree.

Another way to put it is "Nature is by nature beautiful".
    Newtons universe was a real beauty in its simplicity, somewhat destroyed by Einstein.
    Einsteins niverse was also butifyl in a simplicity but in a higher level. His equations could describe more so they were beatutiful too.
    Heisenberg began to destroy the simplicity by introduce totally contra intuitive things in the equations.
    Quarks are beatutiful, strings in string theory are not, they demand too weird topography of the universe to be appreciated by its beauty.
    (thoughts only)

So what signify a beatiful universe?
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 18:34
    Yes, agree.

Another way to put it is "Nature is by nature beautiful".
    Newtons universe was a real beauty in its simplicity, somewhat destroyed by Einstein.
    Einsteins niverse was also butifyl in a simplicity but in a higher level. His equations could describe more so they were beatutiful too.
    Heisenberg began to destroy the simplicity by introduc ...[text shortened]... erse to be appreciated by its beauty.
    (thoughts only)

So what signify a beatiful universe?
    laziness is beautiful, then 🙂
    Einstein's universe is even more simple then Newton's, because there's no absolute inertial frame. The math is more complex, but the principles are more simple.
    Quantum physics is simple too (in the principles). Again it's the math part that goes more and more complex.
    Now particle physics can be sometimes great (group theory), but there seem to be many ad hoc suppositions now... I want a basic principle!
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 18:45
    laziness is beautiful, then 🙂
    Einstein's universe is even more simple then Newton's, because there's no absolute inertial frame. The math is more complex, but the principles are more simple.
    Quantum physics is simple too (in the principles). Again it's the math part that goes more and more complex.
    Now particle physics can be sometimes great (group theory), but there seem to be many ad hoc suppositions now... I want a basic principle!
    Do you think there will ever be found of one equation describing everything? Like a General Unified Theory, GUT?
    Then this will then be the most beautiful description of the laziest kind of Universe ever known to man. 😵
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 19:06
    Do you think there will ever be found of one equation describing everything? Like a General Unified Theory, GUT?
    Then this will then be the most beautiful description of the laziest kind of Universe ever known to man. 😵
    Maybe not a single equation, but 2-3 basic principles.
    You can get different equations just by stating the principle of least action, for example. One of them is F=ma 🙂
  11. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 20:15
    Just some thoughts.
    Well, a week or two ago didn't they take the first picture of an electron using an atto-second laser? Sure, it's not a photo in the classical sense, but they reconstructed it's image is what I heard on my podcast.
    As for gravitons, how do they intend to detect them? If we get the gravity wave observatories (the very long lasers, I think one is called LISA or something like that...) sensitive enough to see quantisation in gravitational waves, that would be a strong indication for a particulate origin to gravity, no? and the laser based method shouldn't be affected by neutrinos.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 02:30

Your thoughts.
    What makes you think Neutrino's complicate the search for gravitons?
    The point about LISA though, is this: It is designed to detect gravitational RADIATION not gravitons. Gravitons are the theoretical particle that mediates gravity, differant animal.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 14:59
    😵
    Yes, and the answer to the equation will be 1.

I'll let you guys figure out the equation. I've done the hard part.
  14. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 17:18
    Originally posted by uzless
    Yes, and the answer to the equation will be 1.

I'll let you guys figure out the equation. I've done the hard part.
    That was damn funny!

Dave
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 14:40
    My problem is with the model itself.
    Gravitons are no more then a generalization. The truth is when we do it, the model no longer works... So what physicists did was to change the model to make gravitons fit.

Simple principles like "all forces have a particle associated with them"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree