1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 23:59
    Originally posted by @rank-outsider
    Yes that is exactly what I wanted to know. I thought it would be in the millions but that is something of a different order!

I will come back a bit later when I have more time, but thanks for now.
    So you believe the admissions are random?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 07:393 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So you believe the admissions are random?
    it is clear from his OP that he doesn't believe "admissions are random".
    Are you trying to make a point?
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 13:012 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I sympathise with you.

A healthy percentage of dyslexics can be helped with some really low-tech solutions
    such as "reading windows" (just a piece of card with a window of two word length), or
    coloured acetate film, or combination of both.

Nessy is a great software package (8 years ago - probably more now) that helps
    dyslexics.

And finally, h ...[text shortened]... yslexia should be viewed as a disability, but one that can be easily circumvented.

Good Luck.
    Yes. My son is dyslexic, dyspraxic and also has an autism related communication disorder.

Tell that to some schools, and you can see it in their eyes that they are thinking 'How hard is it going to be for us to cater for him?'

When he sat his first cognitive aptitude test (before he was diagnosed), he scored just above average and was really struggling in classes with pretty basic stuff.

Two years later, he is scoring in the 130s for some elements of the CATs, which places him in the top 2% or so nationally. In his most recent exams at school, he sat 8 papers, and came top in 6, and second in the other two. So he is now top of his year group.

I am not mentioning this to boast about my son's academic ability (well, perhaps a little....) but what were the dramatic, intensive and expensive interventions that were required to achieve this stellar change?

A bit of extra time, printed off and enlarged question papers, use of different colours, sitting at front of class and on left hand side (his left ear has auditory processing issues) and teachers who double check he has understood what has been asked of him before he starts. Nothing else.

That's why, when the school he applied to told me that they were not willing to make these adjustments for him in their entrance tests, I decided not to send my son there and they now find themselves facing a discrimination Tribunal.

To be fair to the Headmaster, I really don't think he knew what was going on (not that this is an excuse) and he has already changed the entry system quite a bit. Ironically, he has a dyslexic son and his wife works in a Learning Support Department!
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 13:05
    By what criteria do they select students?

If it is by academic achievement, then of course those with learning disabilities will be put at a disadvantage. It is only natural.

If not, then the school may be trying to save money by keeping out special needs kids who would require more money spent on them with promise of lower outcomes.
    Einstein was dyslexic, and he did OK I think.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 13:15
    Funny how your post had little to do with being biased, simply what would be true if random.

I am still waiting to see exactly what it is about their selection process which is biased.
    Well, my figures where about applications, rather then selection but since you ask.....

One thing they do is set long, wordy maths problems on a computer. The computer programme used can't enlarge the text, and they refused to print the questions off and enlarge them. You enter the answers on the computer.

Many dyslexics have tracking issues and also short-term memory issues. So, under time pressure, he was being asked to read and interpret the question, transfer the information down onto paper (with the possibility of transcription errors), perform the calculation and then transfer this back to the computer.

As this is a maths test, there is no reason why the questions could not have been printed off and enlarged. It makes a huge difference to my son. Refusing to do so, when such changes do not affect the integrity of the test, is discrimination under UK law.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 16:511 edit
    Einstein was dyslexic, and he did OK I think.
    It is actually generally uncertain whether he really had true dyslexia or if that is just a myth because dyslexia even now is hard to reliably diagnose and is very easily confused with other mental conditions with almost identical symptoms so to readily lead to misdiagnoses.
    But, regardless of whether he ever really had true dyslexia, he had a dyslexia-like disability in early childhood.
    See http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/famous-people.htm to see what I mean.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 20:11
    Originally posted by @humy
    it is clear from his OP that he doesn't believe "admissions are random".
    Are you trying to make a point?
    Applicants for admission are random?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 20:151 edit
    Well, my figures where about applications, rather then selection but since you ask.....

One thing they do is set long, wordy maths problems on a computer. The computer programme used can't enlarge the text, and they refused to print the questions off and enlarge them. You enter the answers on the computer.

Many dyslexics have tracking issues a ...[text shortened]... o so, when such changes do not affect the integrity of the test, is discrimination under UK law.
    So dyslexia causes one to need larger print?

I think the reason for not printing off the questions would be grading the test. The computer proram probably grades the test. If humans are actually grading then there would be no reason.

How many kids take this test?

As for enlarging the print, I'd think that would have to do with the screen being used.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:111 edit
    So dyslexia causes one to need larger print?

I think the reason for not printing off the questions would be grading the test. The computer proram probably grades the test. If humans are actually grading then there would be no reason.

How many kids take this test?

As for enlarging the print, I'd think that would have to do with the screen being used.
    Yes, dyslexia can be helped by enlarged print.

There was no need for the test to be marked by computer.

There was no need to have it on a screen.

If someone was blind, presumably you wouldn’t think it necessary to offer Braille format.

I am glad you are not the judge.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:14
    Applicants for admission are random?
    did anyone say they where? Your point?
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:221 edit

If someone was blind, presumably you wouldn’t think it necessary to offer Braille format.
    that's shows what is wrong with what he is saying;
    If it is right to make special provision in the test for the blind, why wouldn't it not also be right to make special provision in the test for dyslexics?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:24
    did anyone say they where? Your point?
    He is making the assumption they are if he believes your numbers are accurate.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:27
    that's shows what is wrong with what he is saying;
    If it is right to make special prevision in the test for the blind, why wouldn't it not also be right to make special prevision in the test for dyslexics?
    Do they give special tests for the blind?

If the school does not want the expense of providing special help to special students at extra cost, then no tests would be given.

Seems to me all children should recieve the same amount of money on them. If no special needs then perhaps extra money for individual tutors.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:314 edits
    He is making the assumption they are if he believes your numbers are accurate.
    No, not even if he cannot read my posts that clearly contain the word "if".
    Exactly WHERE in my posts do I say such a thing?
    It is unlikely that he would make such an assumption ; why would he? You make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:366 edits
    Do they give special tests for the blind?
    wrong question;
    it should be "should they ..."
    and they SHOULD give special tests for the blind.

If the school does not want the expense of providing special help to special students ...

So anyone that has a handicap that is not their fault should be unfairly discriminated against by unfairly denied equal opportunities just for the sake of saving a bit of money?
    Perhaps the same argument can be used to not give some people, including very young children, life saving medical care they need if they (or their parents) cannot afford to pay for it themselves; a hospital may not 'want' to pay for the extra expense for it.
    I believe in the moral code of humans helping other humans in need of help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree