Questions and Answers

Standard memberRemoved
Science 07 Apr '12 23:03
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 23:03
    Is it better to seach for the questions or the answers?
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 00:29
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Well, you can't find an answer without first knowing the question, so finding the right question to ask is key.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 05:56
    No. Wait, what? Sure, go ahead. Why not?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 09:00
    Originally posted by coquette
    No. Wait, what? Sure, go ahead. Why not?
    But what is is you are questioning?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 03:53
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Well, you can't find an answer without first knowing the question, so finding the right question to ask is key.
    but usually ( actually i'd suspect always, but i'm never quite sure on anything) the answer to a previous question is just another question...so why then does scientific rhetoric lead us to believe we are searching for the answers, when in fact we are really just searching for the questions?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 14:50
    but usually ( actually i'd suspect always, but i'm never quite sure on anything) the answer to a previous question is just another question...so why then does scientific rhetoric lead us to believe we are searching for the answers, when in fact we are really just searching for the questions?
    No I would say that the answers to our questions usually suggest more questions to ask
    but we do still get answers to questions.

And the questions are not written for us to find, we have to think of them.

The quality of scientist is usually determined by how good are the questions they think to ask.

It's not something that scientists search for, its what they think of.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 10:07
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    the right question to ask is given by an answer as well.

without answers, what good are questions?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 14:48
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

Seems like a logical paradox to me, anyone else agree?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Apr '12 14:521 edit

Is the Riemann Hypothesis worth anything, it certainly is a question without an answer. However, I guarantee it has led countless mathematician's into the wild (so to speak) creating exciting new mathematics along each of their journeys. Is it the answer that drives them or the question?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 08:56
    Is the Riemann Hypothesis worth anything, it certainly is a question without an answer. However, I guarantee it has led countless mathematician's into the wild (so to speak) creating exciting new mathematics along each of their journeys. Is it the answer that drives them or the question?
    The wikipedia page on the riemannn hypothesis gave me a headache. I do not know enough (or even little) about mathematics to understand it.

i would venture to claim this is a false "the question drives me". an unproven statement cannot be the basis for new knowledge. so this hypothesis was merely the starting point of a road on which the traveler discovered something else. kind of like how an alchemist looking for gold discovered phosphorus
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 09:07
    Seems like a logical paradox to me, anyone else agree?
    i think it is a paradox only if you try to romanticize science. you can assume scientists are knights battling with questions, but at the end of the day, research grants are expensive, and people demand results. one can accept knowledge without [immediate][profitable] applications, but nobody will accept questions.

i am not trying to lessen the importance of a well asked question, but it is only the road to an answer from which we may take other roads to more answers.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 12:36
    The wikipedia page on the riemannn hypothesis gave me a headache. I do not know enough (or even little) about mathematics to understand it.

i would venture to claim this is a false "the question drives me". an unproven statement cannot be the basis for new knowledge. so this hypothesis was merely the starting point of a road on which the traveler discovered something else. kind of like how an alchemist looking for gold discovered phosphorus
    Well, if it could be traced back cleanly...I feel would see the seed of all knowledge began with a few questions, not answers. The funny thing about answers is that as time continues, all answers are or can be revisited and revised, but the question remains the same.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 19:22
    I don't think there is a good answer to that question.
  14. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 03:47
    Every answer seems to evoke new questions. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree