1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Oct '14 16:403 edits
    There is no end to the false health claims made about various foods.
    Most make wildly simplistical (am I allowed the word “simplistical” in English? ) sweeping generalizations that are often not only far too simplitic but plain wrong.
    Perhaps the biggest and most traditional one is that fat, especially saturated fat, is bad for you. That I believe has already been thoroughly debunked.

But a more resent one has been the claim that wheat is bad for you because of the so-cliamed “wheat belly” effect. And, when they say “wheat” here, they are not only talking here about processed wheat but even whole grain wheat! This is utter nonsense and this latest link helps to explain why:

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-truth-war-wheat.html

These propagated simplistic health myths, including the one that fat is bad for you and wheat is bad for you, is actually dangerous for health! often when people are taken in by such a health myth, they try to improve their health by adhering to the myth only to make their health worse! I think those that propagate these myths are immoral for doing so and we must do everything we can to stamp out these myths. I even think some laws should be made against propagating known health myths because they are dangerous and bound to result in MANY deaths.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 00:33
    Originally posted by humy
    Most make wildly simplistical (am I allowed the word “simplistical” in English? ) sweeping generalizations that are often not only far too simplitic but plain wrong.
    Perhaps the biggest and most traditional one is that fat, especially saturated fat, is bad for you. That I believe has already ...[text shortened]... st propagating known health myths because they are dangerous and bound to result in MANY deaths.
    You used the right word in the second paragraph, simplistic.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 11:41
    Perhaps the biggest and most traditional one is that fat, especially saturated fat, is bad for you. That I believe has already ...[text shortened]... st propagating known health myths because they are dangerous and bound to result in MANY deaths.
    That was surprising, the study on saturated fats:

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20140320/dietary-fats-q-a

They found no effect one way or the other if you ate saturated OR unsaturated fats and only trans fats had known bad effects with other factors overriding the fats issue, like sedentary lifestyle and high blood pressure. Interesting.
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 11:49
    Perhaps the biggest and most traditional one is that fat, especially saturated fat, is bad for you. That I believe has already been thoroughly debunked..
    Oh!? That's news to me. I'd love to read more about that, if you don't mind? Maybe some interesting link on the subject? Last I heard it was still unsettled, and for safety's sake most health organisations recommend a moderate intake of saturated fats (of course moderation is always best whatever nutrient we're talking about).
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 12:001 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Oh!? That's news to me. I'd love to read more about that, if you don't mind? Maybe some interesting link on the subject? Last I heard it was still unsettled, and for safety's sake most health organisations recommend a moderate intake of saturated fats (of course moderation is always best whatever nutrient we're talking about).
    I put up a link about that, see my previous post. I love butter for instance!

I also love fish but it sounds like there is not as much health benefits from eating fish as was touted before.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 12:413 edits
    in addition to sonhouse's link, see:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/07/27/saturated-fat-cholesterol.aspx
    "...New Science Destroys the Saturated Fat Myth..."

and

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/saturated_fat_myth_debunked_again/

and

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/

"...Humans have been eating saturated fats for hundreds of thousands of years.

They were demonized a few decades ago and claimed to cause heart disease, but new data shows that to be completely false...."

and

http://anh-europe.org/news/saturated-fat-myth-busted-in-british-medical-journal
    "...Saturated fat myth busted in British Medical Journal..."

or just google "myth about saturated fat"

Trust me; this myth has now been thoroughly debunked!

Note that some of the above links also debunks the old myth of cholesterol causing heart disease and the "cholesterol clogging up the arteries" crap -neither fat nor cholesterol clogs up arteries. see:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/fat-does-not-clog-up-our-arteries/
    "...Fat does not clog up our arteries..."

What does clog up the arteries, if my memory serves me, is mainly white blood cells that have congealed together along the walls of the arteries due to inflammation along the arterial walls. The most common causes of this is smoking, excessive alcohol drinking, lack of exercise and obesity although I don't know how those things cause that.
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 12:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I put up a link about that, see my previous post.
    Well, based on that article I'd have to say that the "myth" is far from thoroughly debunked, but it is interesting, the point about how we can't look only at the type of fats when determining the health value of any given food substance. Good read.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 21:55
    Well, based on that article I'd have to say that the "myth" is far from thoroughly debunked, but it is interesting, the point about how we can't look only at the type of fats when determining the health value of any given food substance. Good read.
    you can go here and test the nutritional value of your diet

https://cronometer.com/
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 00:17
    I think a lot of this latest jumping on the anti-wheat bandwagon is from the anti-gluten crowd.

I had never heard more about why glutens are bad for you than during the past year or so. And I think the majority of this is bull, too, just like all we've heard about saturated fats being bad, bad.

Moderation (in everything) is the key.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 02:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think a lot of this latest jumping on the anti-wheat bandwagon is from the anti-gluten crowd.

I had never heard more about why glutens are bad for you than during the past year or so. And I think the majority of this is bull, too, just like all we've heard about saturated fats being bad, bad.

Moderation (in everything) is the key.
    Absolutely this is why I'm moderate in not being excessive. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree