1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Nov '20 12:479 edits
    YouTube

this video explains, among other things, how, sadly, many environmentalists get their basic fact completely and wildly wrong (and I would say no surprises their as much of the environmental movement has been hijack by a load of idiot loons that have only a pretence of environmental concerns and are actually only doing this for purely political reasons and who give the whole environmental movement a very bad reputation it ill deserves).
    But, and although this video certainly doesn't ever say/imply this, I assert that when it comes to environmental issues, we should only listen to the scientists and what the science says, not the politicians nor what the non-scientists say and that includes most of the non-scientist environmentalists.

This video also debunks some common myths, such as the myth that the implementation of lower-carbon footprint policies are bad for the economy; -the data shows, (such as the data that shows countries that generate more of their energy from renewables nearly always have lower energy prices, etc.) if anything, the exact opposite is usually true!
  2. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    03 Dec '20 03:06
    @humy
    It's really not that hard to separate good science from bad science. The first thing to do is to find out where your scientist's paycheck comes from, and what the agenda and motivation of their employer is. In most cases you will find a conflict of interest, thus making the science most likely worthless.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '20 03:50
    @bunnyknight said
    @humy
    It's really not that hard to separate good science from bad science. The first thing to do is to find out where your scientist's paycheck comes from, and what the agenda and motivation of their employer is. In most cases you will find a conflict of interest, thus making the science most likely worthless.
    Can you give me an example?

There is science and there is a false perception of scientific consensus. The latter is driven by repetition of rumor. The more you hear a rumor the more likely you are to believe it. Rumors can trump truth. Propagandists take advantage of this flaw in human nature and exploit your natural biases.

The ice core samples show a correlation between temperatures and methane levels. Why did Al Gore omit that fact from his AGW film? Is there a methane cover up?
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '20 14:06
    @humy
    Did not watch video. What is an "environmentalist" in this context? A trained scientist or someone who recycles?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Dec '20 14:448 edits
    @wildgrass said
    @humy
    Did not watch video. What is an "environmentalist" in this context? A trained scientist or someone who recycles?
    It wouldn't mean merely somebody that merely 'recycles' else that wouldn't make much sense because just about everyone at some time 'recycles' something by putting something in a recycling bin, even complete morons that deny global warming or the harm air pollution does etc.

Although in this context it can be a trained scientist providing the scientist is especially and specifically qualified trained in the environmental science i.e. by doing university courses in environmentalism and pollution etc (and I know such courses exist because I have personally seen them advertised), what is generally meant by "environmentalist" in this context isn't in most cases a scientist but somebody who formally takes up environmentalism as part of a political movement, such as somebody being a member of the so called "friends of the earth" or being a member of some other environmental pressure group, often being a politician but usually not any kind of science expert let alone a scientist.
    I am afraid the environmental movement has been hijacked by overwhelmingly mainly non-scientist loony laypeople, mainly with a kind of irrational anti-science and/or anti-industry sentiment, who are simply wrong about many issues and who give the environmental movement a terrible reputation it ill deserves.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '20 22:24
    @humy said
    It wouldn't mean merely somebody that merely 'recycles' else that wouldn't make much sense because just about everyone at some time 'recycles' something by putting something in a recycling bin, even complete morons that deny global warming or the harm air pollution does etc.

Although in this context it can be a trained scientist providing the scientist is especially and spec ...[text shortened]... ong about many issues and who give the environmental movement a terrible reputation it ill deserves.
    As the great Denis Leary noted years ago.... "We only want to save the cute animals, like the otters who roll around do cute little human things with their hands."

Part of the issue is that environmental science is widely interdisciplinary. Environmental law and political science are part of it. If you're trying to understand human impacts on an ecosystem over time, you need to understand the law and political climate before you establish a framework for your study. Part of your job is also developing plans to control or mitigate potential environmental problems.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree