1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Sep '19 23:291 edit
    YouTube
    Around 20 mins

Banned TED Talk: The Science Delusion - Rupert Sheldrake at TEDx Whitechapel

I'm not sure what to make of this guy, but it was an interesting talk.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 01:051 edit
    @KellyJay
    Presumably the title is a take off of 'the god delusion' by Richard Dawkins, a dude I'm sure is NOT on your Christmas card list......
    So, listening to it, he starts out saying science thinks it basically knows everything and now only finishes in details.

That could not be further from the truth.
    I have said time and time again science as a whole is in kindergarten and we view the world through the eyes of kindergarten students.

This is not a minority view, anyone with more than 3 brain cells understands that basic fact about science.

All the hundreds of thousands if not millions of books written about science subjects we can suss out now just scratches the surface of what will be known in another hundred years and THAT future will just be scratching the surface of what will be known in TWO hundred years and so forth well into the far future.
    We may NEVER know ALL about the universe and anyone with a decent brain is not in the slightest opposing that view.
    So not a good start IMHO.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 01:201 edit
    @kellyjay said
    [youtube] 1TerTgDEgUE [/youtube]
    Around 20 mins

Banned TED Talk: The Science Delusion - Rupert Sheldrake at TEDx Whitechapel

I'm not sure what to make of this guy, but it was an interesting talk.
    It's not 'banned' of course. That rhetoric is designed to provoke interest. I've seen this talk on the TedTalks site. For much of it there is audible laughter.

Certainly provocative. The part he misses of course, is that science is a method not a dogma...

https://blog.ted.com/the-debate-about-rupert-sheldrakes-talk/
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 01:28
    @wildgrass said
    It's not 'banned' of course. That rhetoric is designed to provoke interest. I've seen this talk on the TedTalks site. For much of it there is audible laughter.

Certainly provocative. The part he misses of course, is that science is a method not a dogma...

https://blog.ted.com/the-debate-about-rupert-sheldrakes-talk/
    I think your correct in your description of science, but dogma is throughout the community that lives by it.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 01:31
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    Presumably the title is a take off of 'the god delusion' by Richard Dawkins, a dude I'm sure is NOT on your Christmas card list......
    So, listening to it, he starts out saying science thinks it basically knows everything and now only finishes in details.

That could not be further from the truth.
    I have said time and time again science as a whole is in kinderg ...[text shortened]... nd anyone with a decent brain is not in the slightest opposing that view.
    So not a good start IMHO.
    I had not heard of some of the things he said before I listen to him. I posted this here awhile back for everyone's take on the speed of light changing. I got into a discussion with someone on that topic and it made me think of this so I thought I'd post it for comment. Nothing more, not attempting to get a rise out of anyone just wanted to hear your views on way or another.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 01:364 edits
    @kellyjay said
    I think your correct in your description of science, but dogma is throughout the community that lives by it.
    I have not experienced any dogma. Have you ever been to a scientific conference? Everything is questioned. Grad students sweat to find references and describe physical experiments that test specific questions. What are your controls? Why did you do it this way and not that way? Are you sure conclusions are correct?

It's intense. These (human) pseudoscience guys who float above and instead of explaining they just pretend to know are false prophets. Scientists don't have answers to existential questions, they are just trying to move the ball forward a bit and it's offensive that guys like this exist to undermine their efforts. If he had a legitimate criticism he didn't express it in this talk.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '19 02:23
    @wildgrass said
    I have not experienced any dogma. Have you ever been to a scientific conference? Everything is questioned. Grad students sweat to find references and describe physical experiments that test specific questions. What are your controls? Why did you do it this way and not that way? Are you sure conclusions are correct?

It's intense. These (human) pseudoscience guys who float ...[text shortened]... xist to undermine their efforts. If he had a legitimate criticism he didn't express it in this talk.
    Not going to defend him, I thought what he said was interesting beyond that, well there is really nothing beyond that.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '19 14:23
    @KellyJay

Why would they say it was banned except to slant the piece to excite his base?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 17:47
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay

Why would they say it was banned except to slant the piece to excite his base?
    I never heard of him, so if he has a base, well...I would like a base, do you have one? 🙂
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 20:062 edits
    @KellyJay
    Well, I have a small base on Soundcloud but other than that, I may have a science paper published but that is not exactly a base though.

A lot of real wingnuts have bases. Why do you think Hitler got to be king of Germany? Or Pol Pot, or Idi Amin?

That rather says a lot about the supposed intelligence of the human race doesn't it, for there to be literally millions of folks who would follow despots or people like Trump or Manson or the Dividians and so forth.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 20:56
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    Well, I have a small base on Soundcloud but other than that, I may have a science paper published but that is not exactly a base though.

A lot of real wingnuts have bases. Why do you think Hitler got to be king of Germany? Or Pol Pot, or Idi Amin?

That rather says a lot about the supposed intelligence of the human race doesn't it, for there to be literally m ...[text shortened]... ions of folks who would follow despots or people like Trump or Manson or the Dividians and so forth.
    🙂 You have a base on Soundcloud for a good reason.
    I was kidding about having or wanting one. It does say a lot about the human race and those we choose to follow, so many have died because the heart of the one they were following was corrupt.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 21:53
    @KellyJay
    BTW, over 100 now there, 108 to be exact.
    Did you listen to my granddaughter Dejah sing? Totally improv, I was noodling on guitar and the recorder was running and she just started in singing! 4 years old!
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 22:09
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    BTW, over 100 now there, 108 to be exact.
    Did you listen to my granddaughter Dejah sing? Totally improv, I was noodling on guitar and the recorder was running and she just started in singing! 4 years old!
    Have not been there in awhile I'll check it out when I get back we are heading out to see a friend in the hospital in a few minutes.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '19 01:081 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay

That rather says a lot about the supposed intelligence of the human race doesn't it, for there to be literally m ...[text shortened]... ions of folks who would follow despots or people like Trump or Manson or the Dividians and so forth.
    The Milgram experiments showed this. We have status hierarchies and it is very difficult to recognise that an authority one believed was benign is in fact malevolent once one has accepted them as an authority. The Wikipedia page on obedience is worth reading.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree