1. Joined
    21 Oct '15
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 19:18
    Just had an idea not sure if it exists here already!?

It's a clan vs clan game where each clan teams up together and suggest their favorite move within time period. The move which gets the highest suggestion gets the move. If there's a draw, then a poll for their choice of most voted move. Maybe if its still a draw after the poll the captain decides?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 12:34
    This is a good idea, but not possible right now with the current tech. The intended rewrite will support "vote" play though (1 vs 1, 1 vs n, n vs n) , so this could be added in the (distant) future.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 15:35
    Originally posted by @boardreader
    Just had an idea not sure if it exists here already!?

It's a clan vs clan game where each clan teams up together and suggest their favorite move within time period. The move which gets the highest suggestion gets the move. If there's a draw, then a poll for their choice of most voted move. Maybe if its still a draw after the poll the captain decides?
    I agree that would be an excellent idea!!! We use to play something exactly like that on another site. One can actually learn the reason for the move being made, learn new openings, more about the middle and end game too.

-VR
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 20:39
    A similar idea was executed via the club forum in M.U.T.I some time ago.Some members formed 2 clans and played a game(or games)set up as open invites.The clan members discussed moves and I think voted on moves by discussion on the forum.The leaders(the pair who set up the invites) then made the moves on the boards.
    The opposing clans were not allowed to look on each others forum thread of course
  5. Joined
    21 Oct '15
    Moves
    04 Jan '18 21:29
    I got the idea of watching a demo video. Where people voted their moves against an IM. I think it was on chess.com or chessbase. Sorry can't remember.

Like VR said be great learning experience for all players.

I can imagine this would take some time to implement.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 19:411 edit
    I got the idea of watching a demo video. Where people voted their moves against an IM. I think it was on chess.com or chessbase. Sorry can't remember.

Like VR said be great learning experience for all players.

I can imagine this would take some time to implement.
    Well it appears Russ likes the idea so it will happen eventually, I believe he used the word (distant) future though. I hope I will still be alive!!! J/K

Yes the higher rated the players on each team the more us lower rated players learn. So long as we keep the human element in it and the chess programs out, it is something I would be very interested in.

-VR
  7. Joined
    21 Oct '15
    Moves
    05 Jan '18 21:59
    I'm sure Russ would get around to it. But appreciate that the architecture might need changing and that can take time.

I'm excited to learn from stronger players. I hope that people don't use engines - what is the point? Specially in this type of game.
    I like to think people don't use an engine. Unless they're 2200+
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 00:42
    I'm sure Russ would get around to it. But appreciate that the architecture might need changing and that can take time.

I'm excited to learn from stronger players. I hope that people don't use engines - what is the point? Specially in this type of game.
    In a perfect world people wouldn't use engines. only problem is we don't live in a perfect world, and people do use engines, if caught they are are booted off of the site, but it takes time to catch those who do use engines.

This is my personal opinion but I believe many that are rated over 2300 do use engines, that is not saying that they all do. I have no evidence to back this up just my personal opinion.

-VR
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 09:33

It is a good idea, and we tried something very similar on another site I play on. Initially it was very successful, but lost its momentum when the forums set up to discuss the next move were gradually taken over by posters who were clearly just cutting and pasting consecutive moves from chess engines which really just took the fun out of it (and a missed learning opportunity for weaker participants).

That doesn't mean of course it wouldn't fare better here. (Especially if clan related).
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 20:22
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    It is a good idea, and we tried something very similar on another site I play on. Initially it was very successful, but lost its momentum when the forums set up to discuss the next move were gradually taken over by posters who were clearly just cutting and pasting consecutive moves from chess engines which really just took the fun out of it (and a m ...[text shortened]... nts).

That doesn't mean of course it wouldn't fare better here. (Especially if clan related).
    I think it would work...Most of us on here long term already know who the strong players are that we are 99.9% sure don't use an engine. Would need the same amount of strong rated players on each team, along with us weaker players who could learn alot.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree