1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 12:46
    Ratings - including my own - change a lot in the course of one game and of course continue to move about over time. I would like game records to establish the rating of the opponent I actually challenge and the result on that basis.

Lots of things make me think this.
    -Some strong players suddenly give up (or get kicked off) and their rating plummets to a ridiculous extent, totally ruining the record in my opinion. (No I really did beat that 2300 player, not the 895 player who has left the site).
    -Clan games look like a totally unfair match when they were perfectly fair at the outset.
    - I look and feel like a grade bully (not my phrase!) for beating a lower rated player when the initial challenge was perfectly fair.
    -Strong players refuse to resign a lost position or to agree a draw and I suspect they are waiting until my rating improves as much as possible so they get their result to look better. (Otherwise I can't see why some of them persist so long).

So I say fix the grade at the point of starting play and keep that as the permanent record.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 12:42
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Ratings - including my own - change a lot in the course of one game and of course continue to move about over time. I would like game records to establish the rating of the opponent I actually challenge and the result on that basis.

-Some strong players suddenly give up (or get kicked off) and their rating plummets ...[text shortened]...

So I say fix the grade at the point of starting play and keep that as the permanent record.
    What you're saying I think is that you'd like a permanent record of each players rating at the start of each game and the points gain or loss to be calculated on that basis.
    I think this is a good idea.
    What I would suggest is keep a record of your games and what the rating change would be with both systems over a few months.
    For this of course you would need to use the sites formula at the start of each game to calculate the gains and losses under your suggestion
    The formula is quite easy to transpose into a spreadsheet.
    Once you have the evidence , by which time the admins should have more time after they've launched the new site,present it with your suggestion.
    The admins do read "site idea's" so you may get some response
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 13:02
    Originally posted by venda
    What you're saying I think is that you'd like a permanent record of each players rating at the start of each game and the points gain or loss to be calculated on that basis.
    I think this is a good idea.
    Exactly. Or Exacitikly in Walt Disney speak. Quite so.
  4. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 21:51
    Originally posted by finnegan

-Some strong players suddenly give up (or get kicked off) and their rating plummets ...[text shortened]...

This has worried me for a while too and fixing players' ratings at the commencement of a game for that game. seems like a good idea. I've often experienced beginning a game with a player whose rating is considerably higher than mine only to have that player's rating drop considerably during the course of the the game for any one of a number of reasons. It seems sensible that if I accept a challege from a player whose rating is 1600 at the time the challenge is accepted, the calculation of my rating at the end of the game should be based on that player's rating being 1600.
  5. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 11:51
    I'm not terribly keen. Here is a thread with the same idea from a while back:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=93225

In short, your rating is about how likely you are to win or lose games. Fixing it (for points calculation) at the start of a game messes that up.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Mar '13 11:03
    Originally posted by gezza
    I'm not terribly keen. Here is a thread with the same idea from a while back:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=93225

In short, your rating is about how likely you are to win or lose games. Fixing it (for points calculation) at the start of a game messes that up.
    Thanks - I did not see that earlier thread and have now read it through. The arguments there are obviously well considered, but I wonder if they really concern the majority of cases or just unusual situations and anomolies.

Every rating system has to have a protocol to deal with new players with less than (say) 20 rated games in their history. Juniors also have famously unreliable ratings, since they improve so rapidly (the little s##ts!). I have no idea what you expect to achieve against players who enter complicated scams to misrepresent their playing abiliity. Ratings can deal with game scores but not with the reason why players might have lost or won.

Statisticians have to work out from time to time if our ratings reflect our playing strength relative to the other players in the system. I assume the present system works well enough - I know that players over a certain grade will routinely smash me and those under a certain grade will routinely let me off the hook! I have trouble believing that the ratings arising from my suggestion would be significantly different over time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree