1. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    05 May '13 18:11
    Since the site update, i've made several observations:

1) i've observed that all of the text sizes appear to have been increased (menus, in-game messages etc.).
    2) I haven't noticed any degradation in my eyesight
    3) nor my computer's ability to render text changed
    4) my screen hasn't become narrower, though the site appears to presume this.

please can something be done so the site fits on a standard laptop screen?

one rather disappointed pineapple.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 May '13 22:26
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    Since the site update, i've made several observations:

1) i've observed that all of the text sizes appear to have been increased (menus, in-game messages etc.).
    2) I haven't noticed any degradation in my eyesight
    3) nor my computer's ability to render text changed
    4) my screen hasn't become narrower, though the site appears to presume this.

plea ...[text shortened]... be done so the site fits on a standard laptop screen?

one rather disappointed pineapple.
    Zoom out on your browser or set a smaller font size.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 May '13 02:27
    We who have poor eyesight were happy to see the larger font sizes, too big can be adapted to, too small can't. Even with the correct glasses and a huge screen I needed to zoom to read most of the old site text.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 May '13 04:29
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    We who have poor eyesight were happy to see the larger font sizes, too big can be adapted to, too small can't. Even with the correct glasses and a huge screen I needed to zoom to read most of the old site text.
    He must not be using Firefox. FF text comes out microscopic with all settings at default.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 May '13 04:59
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    He must not be using Firefox. FF text comes out microscopic with all settings at default.
    When I started using Firefox I had to add NoSquint to use the old site. Now I'm on plain vanilla Firefox and everything works fine. It's a relief!
  6. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    07 May '13 16:34
    safari, chrome - not tried firefox, and no, I refuse to use internet explorer even when paid to do so!

I'm being a bit harsh I realise - just frustrating that I seem to have had to reduce the board size (the whole point of a chess site is the board), so that the titles, extra gubbins at the top of the page, and larger fonts fit!

i'll stop whinging now.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 May '13 16:491 edit
    safari, chrome - not tried firefox, and no, I refuse to use internet explorer even when paid to do so!

I'm being a bit harsh I realise - just frustrating that I seem to have had to reduce the board size (the whole point of a chess site is the board), so that the titles, extra gubbins at the top of the page, and larger fonts fit!

i'll stop whinging now.
    Now that point I understand. Perhaps this is another reason to have an up-to-date mobile version of the site. Something that's a little more compact for users with limited screen real estate.
  8. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    07 May '13 19:24
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Now that point I understand. Perhaps this is another reason to have an up-to-date mobile version of the site. Something that's a little more compact for users with limited screen real estate.
    i fear a mobile version might take up the footprint of a phone - even taller and thinner! On my 'phone, the iPhone version works for me 90% of the time.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 May '13 21:102 edits
    i fear a mobile version might take up the footprint of a phone - even taller and thinner! On my 'phone, the iPhone version works for me 90% of the time.
    I was thinking an app designed for a phone rotated 90°, or a laptop with a wide screen, but low resolution or small physical size. Something with a single strip/menu bar (no buttons above) at the top and the board immediately below it, with the supporting stuff off to the side. The site can detect the available display resolution and auto-resize the interface accordingly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree