1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 18:12
    Ok, so we've established that it would probably be unfair to ban trolls by public vote (and more to the point, it would be subject to easy abuse), but the problem remains. How about, then, allowing thread creators to prohibit certain posters from contributing to their threads? Would that be possible? Would it work?
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 19:17
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Ok, so we've established that it would probably be unfair to ban trolls by public vote (and more to the point, it would be subject to easy abuse), but the problem remains. How about, then, allowing thread creators to prohibit certain posters from contributing to their threads? Would that be possible? Would it work?
    No. It would allow people to prohibit posting by those with alternative opinions in their own threads.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 21:422 edits
    If there was an easy solution, someone would have come up with one by now. Most forums are plagued by trolls, only severe moderation works as far as I can see. I'm in two minds about our particular troll. A lonely sick person desperately trying to participate and not understanding that he's making himself the most disliked person in these forums, or a pompous bore who likes to air his erudition even if it's only internet-earned superfluity. One of those types deserves severe moderation, the other is harder to deal with if we are real compassionate human beings.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Oct '12 23:25
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    It'd be better to just change the "Ignore User" option so it ignores their posts, too. That way you can hide someone's posts for yourself without hiding them for me.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 00:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It'd be better to just change the "Ignore User" option so it ignores their posts, too. That way you can hide someone's posts for yourself without hiding them for me.
    That's why I like the gbaway2 script. We need to get Russ to incorporate that into the site so that it's available for everyone, not just firefox users.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 11:25
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    That's why I like the gbaway2 script. We need to get Russ to incorporate that into the site so that it's available for everyone, not just firefox users.
    recced
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 14:35
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Then again, in any kind of just universe, there should be some punishment for using Internet Explorer. 🙂
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 Oct '12 20:53
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Then again, in any kind of just universe, there should be some punishment for using Internet Explorer. 🙂
    Its a punishment in itself.
  9. Joined
    05 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 23:35
    Any software solution to this would cost - guessing most users wouldn't be prepared to pay an extra 5+ for upgraded forum software [along the lines of facepalmbook]

Better/cheaper option is users reporting trolling to the site mods, who will quickly get fed up of a troll getting multiple reports [which they have to check] - or get annoyed with those crying "troll" with no justification.

DoI = mod other fora, not this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree