1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 16:461 edit
    It has been a very longstanding issue by a number of us now of religion being perceived to be inappropriately being brought to the science forum.

So I propose that we should have a new forum called “science and religion” specifically for discussing subject matters which involve both science and religion simultaneously (such as the evolution verses creationism issue etc). I don’t think just saying such issues should be put in the spirituality forum is the ideal solution here because sometimes a subject matter simply overlaps too much with both religion and science.

If such a new forum be made, I would request that the moderator move all of the current threads that are clearly either “science verses religion” or “science and religion” kind of threads over there to the new forum to stay.

I would personally be happy to debate in such a forum 🙂 -and I bet many others would be too.
  2. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 00:29
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    It has been a very longstanding issue by a number of us now of religion being perceived to be inappropriately being brought to the science forum.

So I propose that we should have a new forum called “science and religion” specifically for discussing subject matters which involve both science and religion simultaneously (such as the evolution verses ...[text shortened]...
    I would personally be happy to debate in such a forum 🙂 -and I bet many others would be too.
    Surely if you can't agree if it's Science or Spirituality than it should be in the Debates Forum!
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 08:32
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Surely if you can't agree if it's Science or Spirituality than it should be in the Debates Forum!
    I have just sampled a few of the threads in the debates forum and they were mainly about politics and not really much to do with spirituality and even less to do with science -well, at least that is how I personally read them.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 15:361 edit

So I propose that we should have a new forum called “science and religion” specifically for discussing subject matters which involve both science and religion simultaneously (such as the evolution verses ...[text shortened]...
    Once religion is brought into any talk of science, it belongs in spirituality forum. Fantastic stories of intelligent design and creationism have no place in a forum that sports the word "science" in it's title in any way.

With religion, facts are easily thrown out by those that demand 'faith' and talk of evidence being planted to test that faith. That's not science, if you believe there is a mischievous devil throwing wrenches in the works.

P-
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 19:37
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Once religion is brought into any talk of science, it belongs in spirituality forum. Fantastic stories of intelligent design and creationism have no place in a forum that sports the word "science" in it's title in any way.

With religion, facts are easily thrown out by those that demand 'faith' and talk of evidence being planted to test that faith. Tha ...[text shortened]... cience, if you believe there is a mischievous devil throwing wrenches in the works.

P-
    If fire really burns, why can I walk on hot coals barefoot?!

The point is, there are no absolutes in science or anything else. Truth in science is constantly shifting and there is some faith required to support the current set of 'facts' and rules. No theory is all encompassing.

Get your FACTS straight DUDE!
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 19:48
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    If fire really burns, why can I walk on hot coals barefoot?!

The point is, there are no absolutes in science or anything else. Truth in science is constantly shifting and there is some faith required to support the current set of 'facts' and rules. No theory is all encompassing.

Get your FACTS straight DUDE!
    Thank GOD for heat capacity and thermal conductivity!

You get your FACTS straight.

P-
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 21:432 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

With religion, facts are easily thrown out by those that demand 'faith' and talk of evidence being planted to test that faith. Tha cience, if you believe there is a mischievous devil throwing wrenches in the works.

P-
    …Fantastic stories of intelligent design and creationism have no place in a forum that sports the word "science" in it's title in any way. ..…

I sympathise with that view but, if we DO have a new forum for this purpose, what else should we call it?
    If we called it “anti-science and religion” then many theists would take offence to what that implies.
    Perhaps we could call it “religious scepticism of science”? -but, even then many theists may take offence to that because to them it might imply that ALL theists are sceptical of science? (which, of course, they are not) -I am really not sure.

If you or anyone else have any alternative ideas of what such a new forum should be called then please say what you think it should be called -I would be very interested in your ideas 🙂
  8. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 01:07
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    [b]If fire really burns, why can I walk on hot coals barefoot?!
    Because the soles of your feet, caveman, are like cement.

*Grunt, grunt*

PS. I despise you presently.
  9. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 01:25

At this point, I am in a discussion in the Spirituality Forum that began with someone talking about the origin of the Universe, but involves me asking questions about physics with someone. And there's at least one discussion in the Science Forum that is primarily concerned with whether or not God exists.

I would love to have the God discussions out of the Science Forum. I don't have much objection to that discussion being in the Spirituality Forum, but I do wonder if some of the godly people get a little annoyed with the frequency with which atheists come to their forum to have this very debate: Science and Religion.

I would not object to seeing that category created. Although, to be fair, most of the fora are fairly broad categories, and I could see why someone would object to creating a Science And Religion category when there's already Science and Spirituality fora. It's not like our arguments, so far as I know, are invading the rest of the board.
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 09:50
    Originally posted by convect
    At this point, I am in a discussion in the Spirituality Forum that began with someone talking about the origin of the Universe, but involves me asking questions about physics with someone. And there's at least one discussion in the Science Forum that is primarily concerned with whether or not God exists.

I would love to have the God discussions out of th ...[text shortened]... ty fora. It's not like our arguments, so far as I know, are invading the rest of the board.
    …I would not object to seeing that category created. Although, to be fair, most of the fora are fairly broad categories, and I could see why someone would object to creating a Science And Religion category when there's already Science and Spirituality fora.....…

I have been thinking about what you have said here and I think I agree that calling it
    “Science and Spirituality” may be a bit too broad. So I have had a rethink and I have come up with what I think may be a much better idea -I don’t know why I did not think of this before; why not just call it:

“Science versus Creationism”

-after all, it is really only the “science versus creationism” kind of discussions that clutter-up the science forum with religious talk and this is definitely a less broad category than “Science and Spirituality”. I also don’t see why the majority of theists would take offence to calling it “Science versus Creationism” (for a start, most are not Creationists).

Who else thinks this is a good idea?

But if “Science versus Creationism” does cause too much offence, then what about making it TWO new forums that are even less broad and call these two:

“Evolution verses Intelligent design”

And

“Big bang theory versus Creationism”

?

-but I am not sure here about “Big bang theory versus Creationism” -are virtually all forms of Creationism against the big bang theory?
    -if not, has anyone got any ideas what else it could be called?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '08 10:38
    Having fundamentalists discussing science things in the Science Forum, I have no problem with. But preaching religious things in the Science Forum I have. I could gladly discuss why creationism is scientifically wrong, but it doesn't take long until the thread goes off-topic and religious rethorics kicks in. By quoting the bible and holding this as a proof is not scientific.

So the religious abuse of the Science Forum makes me wanting to prohibit anything even sligtly religious from the Science Forum and move it into the Spiritual Forum.

Privately, personally, I often discuss religious matters from a Scientific point of view with good friends of mine. But these friends tend to be respectful for my beliefs, and demand in return respect for their beliefs. Within these rules we can enjoy quite advanced kind of discussion. This is not the case in the Science Forum, I'm afraid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree