Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

1. 04 Mar '06 17:36
    I think that a win should, at minimum, gain you one point, and a loss lose you one point. Right now, I've a challenge (probably automatically generated by the system) from a P1200 player to whom I would lose 16 and win 0. I hate to just cancel a game (especially from someone just joining the site), but I think I want my point. Get the point?

Second idea: How about an option to double points if you accept a game from an annoying opponent? ;-)
  2. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    04 Mar '06 19:11
    Originally posted by CrawlIce
    I think that a win should, at minimum, gain you one point, and a loss lose you one point. Right now, I've a challenge (probably automatically generated by the system) from a P1200 player to whom I would lose 16 and win 0.
    What do you mean, 0 points? You always get points if you win. Against privisional players it will just be half. If you beat someone rated almost as high as you, you will get around 16 points. Against provisionals of your rating that will be around 8 points.
  3. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    04 Mar '06 19:16
    Originally posted by Aiko
    You always get points if you win.
    No you don't.

D
  4. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    04 Mar '06 20:23
    Well, if you are rated twice as high as your opponent, the 0,13483 points you will earn are probably rounded to 0.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    05 Mar '06 03:12
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Well, if you are rated twice as high as your opponent, the 0,13483 points you will earn are probably rounded to 0.
    The rating change formula works on rating difference not a multiple basis.
    Where the point at which a game will earn you nothing depends on the rounding the site carries out. Always round down? Round to closest?

If it's the first then a rating of 597 higher than your opponent will give zero points. If it's the second then it's 720. A quick shows a game with a difference of 706 losing a rating point (but not losing one as the winning opponent was Akizy and he has a different K value) for the lower rated player.

As for CrawlIce, by my calculation you will gain a rating point if you win your game against the p1200. Rating change is halved if playing a provisional player. Working through the formula I get +0.61598 rating points which will round up to 1.
  6. 05 Mar '06 14:19
    Xanthos: You're right. I got my point.
    But my opp. wouldn't let me execute the first smothered mate I ever ran across in a game. Boo!
  7. 05 Mar '06 15:09
    Originally posted by CrawlIce
    Second idea: How about an option to double points if you accept a game from an annoying opponent? ;-)
    This isn't backgammon.