Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    10 Dec '12 13:32
    We were hoping to get this out to everyone in time for Xmas/new year, but it is clear now that this is not going to happen. Getting this work finished remains a priority, so I just wanted to reiterate that I can't be as responsive to requests as I would like until this happens. Hopefully it will all be worth it.
  2. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    10 Dec '12 15:31
    Originally posted by Russ
    We were hoping to get this out to everyone in time for Xmas/new year, but it is clear now that this is not going to happen. Getting this work finished remains a priority, so I just wanted to reiterate that I can't be as responsive to requests as I would like until this happens. Hopefully it will all be worth it.
    Russ stood there on Christmas Eve, hating the Whos,
    Staring down from his cave with a sour, Russy frown
    At the warm lighted windows below in their town.
    For he knew every Who down in Who-ville beneath
    Was busy now, hanging a mistletoe wreath.

    "And they're hanging their stockings!" he snarled with a sneer.
    "Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"
    Then he growled, with his Russ fingers nervously drumming,
    "I MUST find a way to keep Christmas from coming!"

    So he rode to the tavern
    and ordered a beer
    and put off the work
    until later, next year

    (with apologies to Dr. Seuss)
  3. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    10 Dec '12 18:44
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    "I MUST find a way to keep Christmas from coming!"

    (with apologies to Dr. Seuss)
    Lol, very good !
  4. 11 Dec '12 21:01
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Lol, very good !
    Bah humbug.
  5. 02 Jan '13 02:37
    Is there a place for us to preview what this new site is going to look like? Did I miss a Request For Comments announcement?
  6. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    02 Jan '13 11:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by jmskms
    Is there a place for us to preview what this new site is going to look like? Did I miss a Request For Comments announcement?
    I'll add some screen shots up shortly (next few days possibly.)

    The site functionally is much the same, UI layout is not dramatically different, to avoid confusion for established users.

    But, it is a much needed "reboot" of lots of old code, that can be then used going forward. (Most home grown JavaScript library code replaced with open-source equivalents, with exception of new board UI code.)

    The most contentious change is a change to fixed width web pages (with slightly larger fonts). The "my games" page (which is currently wide) looks very different as a result.

    For what it’s worth, I much prefer using the new design now, and can't wait to roll it out.
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    10 Jan '13 11:08
    Expecting a further delay of 2 weeks. As in nearly all software projects, the last 10% is definitley taking up 90% of the time. (And my estimates have been way off on this one. That's optimisim for you.)
  8. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    10 Jan '13 22:23
    Originally posted by Russ
    Expecting a further delay of 2 weeks. As in nearly all software projects, the last 10% is definitley taking up 90% of the time. (And my estimates have been way off on this one. That's optimisim for you.)
    all good things to those who wait
  9. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    11 Jan '13 02:48
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    all good things to those who wait
    But with lots of 'boooos' and 'hisssing' from those that can't 😀
  10. Subscriber kmax87
    Land of Free
    10 Feb '13 01:04
    Originally posted by Russ
    ............The most contentious change is a change to fixed width web pages (with slightly larger fonts). The "my games" page (which is currently wide) looks very different as a result...........
    Will this fix the side scroll issue in forums? At present the quoted replies dissapear off screen, but the actual posts reflow to whatever size you want. (using an android device anyways)
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    17 Mar '13 03:25
    Any updates?

    Loved the screen shots, looking forward to the roll out.
  12. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    17 Mar '13 05:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Any updates?

    Loved the screen shots, looking forward to the roll out.
    Russ has said anyone who wants to play on it now should apply to join Club 1. I have the odd Firefox issue with it but I've been using it exclusively now for a couple of weeks without any serious problems.
  13. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    18 Mar '13 12:11
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Russ has said anyone who wants to play on it now should apply to join Club 1. I have the odd Firefox issue with it but I've been using it exclusively now for a couple of weeks without any serious problems.
    Yes, please sign up if you want to take a look. The more eyes on it the better right now.