1. Joined
    07 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 13:27
    Revert to the previous system of selecting exactly which piece you
    want a pawn promoted to. The automatic Queen by default which
    is in force at present is not an improvement .
    I have read somewhere that there is a drop down menu that
    enables this ? If so, it isn't obvious ..

If it works don't fix it ! :'(
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 13:47
    Originally posted by averagejoe
    Revert to the previous system of selecting exactly which piece you
    want a pawn promoted to. The automatic Queen by default which
    is in force at present is not an improvement .
    I have read somewhere that there is a drop down menu that
    enables this ? If so, it isn't obvious ..

If it works don't fix it ! :'(
    The previous pawn promotion had a major bug in it which wrecked a lot of games - if you did the pawn move but didn't select a piece the opponent could never make another move. The new system works perfectly and is a considerable improvement. When you do the pawn move the 'promote to' menu, with queen at the top of the list as the default, appears just below the Submit Move Button. You make your choice before you click on submit, which is the way you play in real life and far more logical than the old method.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 13:55
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The previous pawn promotion had a major bug in it which wrecked a lot of games - if you did the pawn move but didn't select a piece the opponent could never make another move. The new system works perfectly and is a considerable improvement. When you do the pawn move the 'promote to' menu, with queen at the top of the list as the default, appears just below ...[text shortened]... k on submit, which is the way you play in real life and far more logical than the old method.
    Ok thanks for the reply.
    I never ran into the bug to which you refer personally, but if it
    was as you describe I can see the issue.

The new system caused me an issue by selecting an automatic
    Queen, when I'd have preferred it not to.
    I was unaware of the position of the drop down menu for the
    purpose of an alternate selection.

Now I know where to look for it, I'll try it out.

Thaanks again, regards Joe
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 14:142 edits
    This has been brought up several times.
    Maybe a "promote to" selection window should pop up in a totally obvious manner, such as an "in your face" brightly colored window that totally covers the "submit move" button.
    That would be hard to miss, I think!
    Once the promotion piece has been selected, that window would go away and you could then submit your move.
    Do away with the automatic default selection of a queen and force the player to actually choose the piece.
    End of problem.
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 15:25
    More discussion on this from the HELP forum.

Thread 153167
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Aug '13 02:50
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    This has been brought up several times.
    Maybe a "promote to" selection window should pop up in a totally obvious manner, such as an "in your face" brightly colored window that totally covers the "submit move" button.
    That would be hard to miss, I think!
    Once the promotion piece has been selected, that window would go away and you could then submit your m ...[text shortened]... t selection of a queen and force the player to actually choose the piece.
    End of problem.
    Where things have been changed significantly, in this case you now need to look for the promotion thing a page earlier than you used to, there perhaps should have been a broadcast "summary of changes" when the new interface was made available. Hindsight, I know, but ...
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Aug '13 11:50
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Where things have been changed significantly, in this case you now need to look for the promotion thing a page earlier than you used to, there perhaps should have been a broadcast "summary of changes" when the new interface was made available. Hindsight, I know, but ...
    Wouldn't the announcements forum be a logical place to have a list of site-related update information? It could be a sticky thread that is updated frequently by admin, and it wouldn't take long for everyone to know where to look first when things don't work like they used to.
    The help forum would be another good place for this as well.
  8. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    15 Aug '13 13:03
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Wouldn't the announcements forum be a logical place to have a list of site-related update information? It could be a sticky thread that is updated frequently by admin, and it wouldn't take long for everyone to know where to look first when things don't work like they used to.
    The help forum would be another good place for this as well.
    Unfortunately , it seems a lot of players only "look on the forums" when they have a problem so you would still get the basic questions we see over and over again but yes, it might help a bit.
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '07
    Moves
    16 Aug '13 13:43
    Used the new system as it's meant to be used for the first time
    and yes it works perfectly.
    Seem's obvious now and when you've used it properly once,
    you'll never fail to see the option come up again.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and advise.
    Regards, Joe

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree