1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 18:41
    Originally posted by Fisich
    Where is the satisfaction in playing a lot of moves if half of them are BAD moves?
    Half my moves are bad ones. 😞 Very well-considered bad ones πŸ˜€

Nemesio
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 20:05
    Originally posted by Fisich
    .............a couple of days ago I started a game with this guy,Freddie2004,who was rated about 1400,and today,after 14 moves and an even position, I found that he resigned the game with the rating of 1019 because he resigned something like 50 games at once.......

What's the point of doing this? I started a game with the will to play a game of chess,not ...[text shortened]... in a day..........

I really don't know what to say but it's a very disappointing behaviour.
    An interesting idea, perhabs, is everytime I subscriper plays more games then they can handle, and just massively resign, then one non-subbcriper randomly gets to play an extra game. This feature would be hard to implement, but may allow more games to be played without so many lame pre-resignations from subscripers that slow down the site. When you start 200 games, and just hit resign on move 5, it kills the friggin bandwidth, then again, there's the issue of them paying, and whether they have the right to deliberately mess up the site and their own, and everyone else's personal ratings this way...
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Aug '05 00:121 edit
    Originally posted by DeadBeSwallowed
    An interesting idea, perhabs, is everytime I subscriper plays more games then they can handle, and just massively resign, then one non-subbcriper randomly gets to play an extra game. This feature would be hard to implement, but may ...[text shortened]... e and their own, and everyone else's personal ratings this way...
    Are you having a laugh?

The issue of mass resignation being a problem is very rare.
    Subcribers are far more frequent movers than non-subscribers.
    The main people who are affected by mass resignations are subscribers (as subscribers tend to play most of their games against other subscribers).
    Resignations do not slow down the site.
    Subscribers are paying for your freebie band width.
    If your opponent resigns your precious personal rating might rise a few places, which most people would be pleased about.

Stop moaning
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 02:43
    Consider this:

- Rating floors every X points (up to a rating of Y)
    - 2 long-term players (A,B) rated Z+1 (with an assigned floor of Z)

Player A starts a huge ammount of games with player B and proceeds to resign them all (after the necessary moves for them to be rated)

Player B attains level Z+X and is assigned that rating floor. He starts a huge ammount of games with player A and proceeds to resign them all in similar fashion. Player A reaches level Z+X.

It only takes two cheating players to artificially increase ratings.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 19:48
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Consider this:

- Rating floors every X points (up to a rating of Y)
    - 2 long-term players (A,B) rated Z+1 (with an assigned floor of Z)

Player A starts a huge ammount of games with player B and proceeds to resign them all (after the necessary moves for them to be rated)

Player B attains level Z+X and is assigned that rating floor. He starts a hug ...[text shortened]... reaches level Z+X.

It only takes two cheating players to artificially increase ratings.

Yeah, we are aware of this, but what reason to announce it to the world so everyone knows? A certain player, used that tactic with multiple nicknames and engine cheating, he shot up from his regular 1100 rating to 1800 in just a month, it was insane, and so was the reaction from the community when they caught him.
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 22:13
    A certain player, used that tactic with multiple nicknames and engine cheating, he shot up from his regular 1100 rating to 1800 in just a month, it was insane, and so was the reaction from the community when they caught him.
    How can you know this? you're here only since a couple of weeks...........
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 23:47
    Yeah, we are aware of this, but what reason to announce it to the world so everyone knows? A certain player, used that tactic with multiple nicknames and engine cheating, he shot up from his regular 1100 rating to 1800 in just a month, it was insane, and so was the reaction from the community when they caught him.
    If you think you are going to stop anything by not announcing that possibility you are dead(beswallowed) wrong.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    17 Aug '05 09:39
    I'll say it again:

We need a better rating system - not rating floors and other systems.

Something that uses weighting and average calculations would be better IMHO.

Current rating means nothing if a player resigned or got timed out in many games... and vice versa for the oponents...
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    18 Aug '05 13:49
    Originally posted by Ravello
    How can you know this? you're here only since a couple of weeks...........
    It is one of his multiple nicknames. πŸ˜‰

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree