Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Site Ideas Forum

Site Ideas Forum

  1. 06 Feb '13 20:07
    Yaaay, let's have a raffle.

    Each member has a user number.

    So why not hold a raffle every month
    and the winner receives a cash prize.

    Times are hard and people could do with a treat.

    It just might generate more membership numbers
    and subscriptions.

    There could be a first second and third prize.

    Raffle to be held at the first of every month.
  2. 06 Feb '13 20:11
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Yaaay, let's have a raffle.

    Each member has a user number.

    So why not hold a raffle every month
    and the winner receives a cash prize.

    Times are hard and people could do with a treat.

    It just might generate more membership numbers
    and subscriptions.

    There could be a first second and third prize.

    Raffle to be held at the first of every month.
    How will the prizes be paid for?
  3. 06 Feb '13 20:40
    Originally posted by divegeester
    How will the prizes be paid for?
    I knew that my post would attract others.

    It would be nice if there were a raffle
    but I don't expect that there will be one.
    The only way such a raffle could be funded is
    by advertising and subscriptions. I have no idea
    if this site is making money or not due to the fact
    that I am not an owner nor am I a part of the
    administration.

    I am sure that they must be doing OK otherwise
    the site would have closed down years ago.

    It is questionable too that the raffle might generate
    more interest and therefore increased membership
    and hopefully more subscribers. I like the site.
    It's a good one and it's the only site on the whole web
    that I have ever given any money to.


    I'm sure the owners will tell you that it is not
    viable at this time to put such an idea into practice.

  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    06 Feb '13 21:08
    probably it would be cheaper for the site's administration of they would do a raffle with a month free subscription.
  5. 06 Feb '13 21:29
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    probably it would be cheaper for the site's administration of they would do a raffle with a month free subscription.
    Not a bad idea but not really a good incentive.

    Even if the raffle were only open to subscribers
    4 weeks free access is not a great idea considering
    the fact that there are many people on here who
    don't pay a penny anyway.
  6. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    07 Feb '13 15:18 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    probably it would be cheaper for the site's administration of they would do a raffle with a month free subscription.
    yes, a one-month subscription would be an incentive

    i don't know how many paid members there are, but we can do some quick math

    Annual membership ~$50 (just for round numbers, and it doesn't matter if it's a little less or a little more for right now)
    Paid membership ~20,000 (again, could be 10,000 or 50,000, the number may rise or fall)

    12 X $50 = $600/year (lost revenues)
    20,000 members X $50/year = $1,000,000 (one million dollars US - or some currency)

    The cost of the free membership is insignificant if

    (1) it keeps one member for a couple years
    (2) it draws a new paid member, even just one per year who will stay for a few years, and maybe tell someone else about RHP (the point is to attract the non-subs "sitting on the fence" to join)

    Not a free annual subscription prize?

    How about

    (1) an RHP coffee mug
    (2) an RHP jersey
    (3) a self-published book of the best-craziest-oddest RHP games (voted on by the members)
    (4) a Pen and notebook set
    (5) an all expenses paid trip to the South Pole for 6 months of winter

    just some thoughts on a good idea

    (I know that I wasted a few minutes here, it's ok)
  7. 07 Feb '13 21:02
    Originally posted by coquette
    yes, a one-month subscription would be an incentive

    i don't know how many paid members there are, but we can do some quick math

    Annual membership ~$50 (just for round numbers, and it doesn't matter if it's a little less or a little more for right now)
    Paid membership ~20,000 (again, could be 10,000 or 50,000, the number may rise or fall)

    12 X $50 ...[text shortened]...

    just some thoughts on a good idea

    (I know that I wasted a few minutes here, it's ok)
    I like your post.

    We need a more can do attitude around here.


  8. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    07 Feb '13 22:27
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I knew that my post would attract others.

    It would be nice if there were a raffle
    but I don't expect that there will be one.
    The only way such a raffle could be funded is
    by advertising and subscriptions. I have no idea
    if this site is making money or not due to the fact
    that I am not an owner nor am I a part of the
    administration.

    I ...[text shortened]... will tell you that it is not
    viable at this time to put such an idea into practice.

    Make that a one-year subscription, offered 12 times a year
  9. 08 Feb '13 00:21
    Originally posted by coquette
    Make that a one-year subscription, offered 12 times a year
    Heeeeeey,, that's cool.


    Only a female could get away
    with asking for such a thing.


    Don't hold out much hope......................................