1. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 23:56
    This is one of the very best online chess sites I have come across. People come here for a variety of reasons: to socialize and meet new people, to chat with friends in the forums, for a casual game of correspondence chess, or in my case to learn more about the game and to get better.

My idea addresses that final point: to learn more about the game and to get better. There have been numerous people on this wonderful site who have given freely of their time to show me a thing or two, but nothing formal or semi-formal. Is it possible to institute some sort of Red Hot Pawn Online Chess Academy for players of all levels to learn more about the game. This can be completely comprehensive with little graduations and the like...players who perhaps don't know the rules can learn how the pieces move in one class...other players can learn the basic fundamentals such as center control maximizing piece development castling and connecting rooks...other players can learn various possibilities and main lines about popular openings...then classes on mid-games pinning, traps and end games and the like. These classes could all be taught by fully vetted members of the RHP website...either volunteers or by pre-set videos or something like that then once a player feels like they have mastered a level they can move on...theoretically the best players could teach the upper level classes...maybe even working in a small nominal fee for students who wish to enroll in these classes, that is separate from the regular rhp subscription fee....this could go directly to the teachers.

I think by adding a Red Hot Pawn Chess Academy where players of all levels from just learning all the way up through Master level instruction can come and learn more and get better would add a whole new dynamic to this website. One that I would be more than willing to invest in.

Any thoughts...Beau
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by beauroberts
    This is one of the very best online chess sites I have come across. People come here for a variety of reasons: to socialize and meet new people, to chat with friends in the forums, for a casual game of correspondence chess, or in my case to learn more about the game and to get better.

My idea addresses that final point: to learn more about the game a ...[text shortened]... amic to this website. One that I would be more than willing to invest in.

Any thoughts...Beau
    Hello Beau,

thank you for the suggestion. There has been a club offering instruction games...which somehow ceased to exist. The problems is to find both dedicated teachers and dedicated pupils (as not to frustarte those teachers).

I would suggest to revive a club for the purpose.

I remembered that Knightstalker47 undertook the work of instructing me.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Hello Beau,

thank you for the suggestion. There has been a club offering instruction games...which somehow ceased to exist. The problems is to find both dedicated teachers and dedicated pupils (as not to frustarte those teachers).

I would suggest to revive a club for the purpose.

I remembered that Knightstalker47 undertook the work of instructing me.
    A club would be ideal.

A clan would not work as well, for obvious reasons, not the least of which is possible collusion in games. Also, only 20 can be in a clan.

Anyone who undertakes this, though, should realize that people will cycle in and cycle out as the time they may have to devote changes, seasonally, or otherwise. It seems to me that a 'boot camp' approach is destined to fail.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree